The Missing Piece

Prologue

        Michael and Jane Jameson sat in the asylum-like hospital waiting room, waiting for word back on their ‘daughter’, Skylin’s, condition. Of course, they hoped that the test for cancer would come back negative, but right now, nothing seemed to be going right for the two newlyweds, little did they know that it was about to get a whole lot worse.

“Hello, Mr. and Mrs. Jameson” A man in a long white lab coat greeted them. Mike and Jane nodded. “I am Dr. Louis, I have reviewed your daughter’s white blood count and it is extremely low, also she is showing small signs that seem to be linked to a type of cancer known as leukemia. I will need to do some more tests on Skylin, to confirm, but in the meantime she will have to have a blood transfusion so that we can increase her immune system’s reaction to the cancer.

“To do this, we will need to find out if either one of you two are compatible matches to Skylin, so that we can start the process.”, the doctor gestured to one of the nurses to bring Skylin out of a room, she came and held the sleeping child out to Jane.

Jane sat up in her chair and took Skylin out of the nurses arms and held her tight, she than cleared her throat and wiped away the gate of tears that blinded her, so that she could address the doctor directly.

“Well, Dr. Louis, me and my husband already know that we’re not compatible matches to Skylin.” Young Skylin stirred at the sound of her name. Jane gave the child over to Michael who adjusted his position so that Skylin lay over his shoulder.

“But Mrs. Jameson, how can you be so sure?” The doctor asked giving her a confused look. Jane got up grabbed her purse and gestured to her husband that it was time to leave. She turned to the doctor and gave him a sad smile, “Because we’re not her biological parents,” and the small family walked out of the hospital.

“Hey Mariah, we’re going out to a movie you wanna come? We got you covered.” A group of my closest friends asked. Yeah, like they really want me to go, but that’s a good question, I thought. Maybe I should go home, mom is probably looking for me already, what time is it? I looked at my watch. 5:30, I was suppose to be home 2 hours ago, yeah I’m just gonna go.

        “Well, given the fact that I was suppose to be home 2 hours ago, and my mom is probably planning on coming up here if I’m not home in the next 45 minutes, I think I’m just gonna go, I’ll talk to you later, okay?” I said not even waiting long enough to get a response I just started off down the street toward my house.

        Man, I thought. Why do I have to look grown? I hated it when I would walk down the street and grown men would stare at me, as if I was something to eat. Ha, maybe I am to them. I laughed out loud to my own joke. But just to make sure I didn’t end up being a newspaper head line, I walked into a local supermarket and called a cab.

When the cab finally came, I gave him my address and the directions on how to get there. When he pulled onto the street I paid him and got out. My mom’s car was in the driveway but I doubt she was there.

I pulled out my key and opened the door, “Mom, you home?” Of course, no response, but was there ever one? I went up to my room and changed into some old sweats. Took down my hair, and tried to brush some of the tangles out of it, finally I gave up, went downstairs popped some corn and put a movie on.

Just when my favorite movie got to the best part, the phone rang. “Ugh, shut up!!” Usually the house phone just rang like three or four times, but now, it wouldn’t stop. Finally I got up and grabbed the receiver, “Hello?” I asked I tried to sound tired as if the phone had woken me up, because if it was my mom she would want to know how long I had been home.