Chapter 21

Believe me when I say this, Jackson didn't look happy. I scoffed in annoyance at the ridiculousness of it. I was free to hug people wasn't I?

I turned my gaze to Chase whose straight white teeth showed in a grin.

"Thanks for talking with me." I nodded at his words, feeling his hands slip down further to my waist. Out of instinct I moved out of his hold trying not to feel guilty.
I smiled at him, grabbing my books from the table and stuffing them in my bag.
"It's okay, I like talking with you. Your more fun than Mr. Grumpy over there."I giggled slightly as I mocked Jackson whose eyes started clouding over in darkness. At that instant Xavier grabbed a hold of Jackson and pulled him away and out of the building.
I swallowed a lump of regret in my throat. I think I pushed him a little too far.
"Sorry Chase, I better go. I'll see you later!" I smiled back at him, watching as he smiled back before slowly sitting back down to arrange all his books. Muttering something incoherent as he did so.
I shrugged it off, rushing out of the library with my heavy bag over my shoulder.
As I walked out of the door I couldn't see Jackson or Xavier anywhere. I glanced up at the shaded line of trees, quickly rushing across the school field knowing I needed to sort out my mistake.

"Jackson, I'm sorry!" I called out as I delved into the depths of the trees, but I couldn't see anyone in sight.

The wind rustled through the trees in a soft harmony, relaxing me.

I kept a slow pace moving around trying to find them but there was no trace of them.

Suddenly an unfamiliar scent hit my nose, making the hair stand up on its end. My breathing deepened as the nerves heightened, I stopped dead in my tracks listening for anything unusual in the forest.

A growl sounded quietly in the distance behind me towards the school, I waited as the sound grew louder.

"Jackson? Xavier?" I kept my voice quiet as the growls grew and thundering paws slammed against the forest floor.

I don't think it's anyone we want to know.

With that I spun on my feet and sprinted away from the nearing wolves coming closer and closer.
It got harder to breath as I ran, jumping over logs and dodging trees.

I frantically looked around for a tree to climb, pumping my arms heavily to try and increase my speed.

I ran at a tree, jumping up to grab at branches to pull me upwards.

I screamed in agony as razor sharp teeth sank into my leg dragging me down off the tree and making me slam onto the floor.

I heard a distant howl from Jackson as I looked up to see the blood dripping from the jaws of one of the wolves. The other three moving to surround me.

"Don't you dare move closer" I growled at them through the agonizing pain. Glancing down to see the mess of my leg covered in blood.

They obviously weren't going to stop progressing towards me. I tried to move backwards but the wolf just grabbed my leg and thrashed it around. I screamed louder again unable to cope with the pain.

Let me help.

I let my body relax as much as possible to let my wolf surface. My body was unable to move but the growl that sounded from me was strong and powerful.

The wolves stopped in their tracks, hesitating briefly before snarling again.

The anger built up at their defiance and once again I released a viscous and ear splitting growl which forced themselves to bow to the floor.

I couldn't help the smile from spreading as the once snarling snapping wolves were at my disposal.

"Jen! Shit, Jen are you alright?" Jackson came rushing forward to my side briefly looking down at my shredded leg.

Xavier stood staring glazed at the four wolves knelt before me silent.

"I let my wolf take over, I couldn't move so that seemed like the best option." The adrenaline started wearing off and I hissed as the pain resurfaced.

"What were you doing out here?" I squeezed Jackson's hand hard trying to breath through the searing sensations in my leg.

"I was trying to find you and Xavier, then these wolves started chasing me." I let my eyes close as I dropped my head backwards into Jackson's shoulder.

"They smell like rogues... what are they doing chasing after you? and how the hell did they get past us?" Xavier growled in annoyance, pacing back and forth watching the silent wolves which were still knelt before me.

Wolves began filing through the trees, skidding to a stop. A brief nod from Jackson and the wolves launched themselves at the rogues.

"NO!" I shouted as they bared their teeth, but it fell on deaf ears as they viciously ripped their throats out, blood spurting in litres onto the forest floor. I tried standing up but I instantly fell back against Jackson as soon as I tried putting any weight on the leg.

"You didn't have to kill them!" I growled heavily making people pause briefly feeling the effects of my power.

"They were going to kill you!" Jackson shouted, holding me up.

"I don't even care, you should have let them. Get it all over and done with, at least they would be contributing." I roughly tried to stand up, getting on my feet briefly before falling forwards.

"Fucks sake! Why am I so useless." Jackson slipped a hand under my arm trying to help me up but the anger in me was too much as I roughly shoved him off of me. 

"Jen, don't say that! They deserved to die." I swung my head around to glare at him as he said the words.

"You can't play god. You can't decide whether someone lives or dies!"
I couldn't quite believe he had said it, could he not see that they had a life. A life that he so easily gave the orders to kill.
"I decide, when they are trying kill not only you but inevitably the whole entire pack. I'd rather it be them than innocent people." I didn't know what to say as he knelt on his knees before me, gently wiping away the tears from my face, ones which I hadn't even realised had fallen.
"Why were you so angry about Chase?" I could see the hurt flood in his eyes, I wanted it to stop but I couldn't see the reason behind it.
"You hugged him." I couldn't help the frown appearing on my face about to shout at him before he spoke.
"I'm not saying you can't, it's more that I tried so hard to get to that point and there you were so easily doing it with him. What made it so hard to trust me? But with Chase it took barely anything, is it because I'm a werewolf?" He dropped his gaze to the floor, afraid what I might say would hurt him too much.
"No, that's not it. It's just easier with Chase..." Before I had chance to continue a sudden wave of dizziness overtook me making me reach forward and grab onto Jackson's arm to steady myself. I scrunched my eyes closed trying to get away from the spinning world.
"Are you okay?" His voice was strangely quiet, almost muffled.
"What's happening?" My voice sounded quiet and weak as my body started burning from the inside. The heat burning through my veins making sweat coat my skin.

Their canines were coated with something. Alec sent them to rid us of me, I'm dying Jen.

I could hear the panic in her voice, I couldn't help letting the tears fall as I felt her drifting away. My only strength was dissipating and I couldn't do anything about it.

My body was being lifted up but I couldn't open my eyes, I felt more like death then ever.

I wasn't ready to lose my wolf, not now, not ever. With what little strength I had I held onto Jackson's shirt, terrified of the ever growing heat beneath my skin almost boiling my blood.

I don't want to leave you! You're not ready to fight him without me. I don't want to die Jen.

I was full on crying now, knowing I couldn't stop her death.

All I could do was listen to her slowly die within in me, begging for my help. I kept apologizing over and over again but it wasn't going to stop anything, and it didn't. Because despite everything people were doing to help stop the poison, it didn't work and when her voice stopped all I could do was apologize for not doing more.