Chapter 8

Girl's POV

I'm hungry.
I'm hungry.
I'm hungry.

My stomach was growling like a mad gorrilla. I stared at the school gate. Mama had said she'd send lunch at 10 o'clock and it was already 15 minutes past 10! And no lunch. I sighed and was about to give up when, Simon, the gate keeper, walked in with a lunch box and a bottle of juice.

"Food!" I cried and almost jumped on Simon. He chuckled and gave me my lunch. "Thank you!" I cheered and walked towards the stairs to devour my feast.

On my way I saw a boy with familiar ears sitting on the stairs. I couldn't see his face but I knew who he was.

"Bunny!" I called out to him. He jumped and looked back.

"Hey," I said, sitting besides him.

"Hi," he greeted.

I opened my lunch box and revealed my mother's heavenly sandwiches. I offered one to bunny but he politely refused.

"Already eaten?" I asked.

"No," he said shaking his head.

"Then?"

"I... I don't eat at lunch."

"You don't?!" I shrieked. "Don't you get hungry?"

Bunny shook his head looking down as always.

"Well how do you attend classes after that? I can't even concentrate if I don't eat!" I was dumbfounded. I wasn't chubby or anything but I had a good old habit of eating a heavy breakfast and lunch at school. I knew I couldn't possibly survive without it! And here was a boy who had probably never eaten lunch at school. Was he even real?

"Nope... You're going to have lunch from now on!" I said pushing my sandwich towards him. "I don't get it. How can anyone survive without it!"

Bunny moved away a little. "No. Thank you," he said polite as ever.

"Oh come on!" I insisted, "At least one bite!"

He thought for a moment and then shook his head. "I'm used to not eating."

"Na-uh. You're not staying hungry on my watch!" I said pushing my lunch box towards him.

Bunny backed away a little. I moved back towards him. "No. Seriously. Thank you! I'm not hungry," he said and stood up.

"Oh no you don't!" I said walking after him. He picked up his pace as I got near him and I picked up mine. This continued for a minute or two until we were both running around the school like little kids, laughing.

Yes, laughing.

For some strange reason I couldn't stop laughing and neither could he.

"Just have a bite!" I screamed, still running after him.

"No, thank you!" He screamed back.

At the end I caught up to him and got hold of his ears. They were surprisingly soft and bendy! "I'm not leaving until you have a bite, mister!"

"Ok! Ok!" He said, finally giving up. I split the sandwich in two and gave it to him. He hesitantly took a bite while I put the whole thing in my mouth.

"See. Now that wasn't too hard was it?" I said with the sandwich still in my mouth. He smiled and shook his. "What!?"

"Nothing," he said, taking another bite.

This became a daily routine. Whenever bunny would spot me, he'd run in the opposite direction. And I'd run after him. I would hold onto his ears and we'd eat together. He wouldn't eat much but still, something was better than nothing. And I still didn't know why he didn't eat at lunch. Ok it might sound like a stupid thing to wonder, but I couldn't help it!

A month later, I was sitting with bunny on the same stairs at the back of the school. We were having lunch. Well actually I was eating and he was just looking down smiling.

"Here," I said offering him a biscuit.

"No, thank you," he replied and I wanted to kill him.

"At least have one!" He thought for a moment, got up and ran away.

Seriously?

I got up to run after him but then a boy came up to me saying Miss Gonzel was calling me. I followed him to the staff room.

"Bonjour, Mademoiselle," I stood by the door.

"Ah! Bonjour! Bonjour!" she replied cheery as ever. "Come in. Come in."

"You wanted to see me?"

"Oui I did! Look jeune fille, I want you to help the new boys with the basics of French after school. Everyday for a month. Only for an hour."

"Sure, Madame."

"Fantastico! Shall you begin today?"

"Yes, Madame."

She gave me the list of boys and said that they would be waiting for me in class. And surely they were!

There was Henry, Bunny, and Benjamin. "Good morning teacher!" Henry teased.

"Oh come on!"

Bunny looked down at his desk smiling. While Benjamin looked at me through his spectacles. He was serious. I checked their works and helped them with it. They were pretty good! I wondered why did they need help. That was one thing I never understood. Help. Why did anyone need help? How is it that one can't do something on their own? How?

"I didn't get this Einstein," Henry spoke. I sighed and began to explain the srntence structure again. And then sat with bunny. Surprisingly he had corrected most of his mistakes. "Wow, bunny. That was fast!" He just smiled. Benjamin wasn't bad either.

Within two weeks they were all able to satisfy Madame! Except Henry though. Madame still complained about his writing. "Henry! It feels like I'm reading Russian!"

"I'm glad that's over!" I sighed and sat besides Bunny. We were sitting on the school steps. My car wasn't there yet.
"Yes," he said.

"So...How are you!?" I beamed at him.

"I am good. How are you?" He replied.

"I'm good too!" I said and we burst into laughter. I enjoyed spending time with him. It was calm yet exciting. Off course I was too young to know that then. I had not realize how much I would miss those times. I didn't not know about how I was going away. Yes, a few weeks later my father got posted to Skylon.

To say that I was happy would be an understatement. I was absolutely happy. My father was finally posted! After four years he was back on his job!

That day, I had not thought about the friends I was leaving behind. About how precious those memories would become. About how everyone except me, would move on. All I knew was that it was a good thing (which it really was) and I said my goodbyes and left. Left for another two years. I don't remember whether or not I had said bye to bunny. But I do remember that Henry had cried. And that I was a bit down for a while but quickly recovered.

Because my joy was greater than the melancholy of the situation.