I am Teresa

I woke up with my face towards Newt's back and my arms around him. My arms rose and sank in the rhythm of Newt's pulse. Intense and bright light filled my eyes so I blinked rapidly until I finally could see. A lone desert. I rose up worried, then I remembered.

We got out of the maze...

"Ah, my eyes!" Minho shouted and got up on his feet rubbing his eyes. He stumbled and fell over Newt, who woke with a shock. He looked around with a confused look. Then he saw Minho laying across his legs and kicked him off. Newt's glance met mine and his expression lightened. He sat up slowly, still looking at me. He seemed a little worried. Minho brushed dust and sand off his pants and looked at us.
"What now?"
I shook my head, not wanting to think. I just wanted to fall back into sleep, to escape the world even just for a little while.
"I don't know."
Minho looked at me, and then he stared into the horizon. We all did, this is the first time, at least that we can remember, we've seen a horizon. Then he turned and smiled. "You got us out of there. You got us free!" I sank down at the ground and closed my eyes, memories of all that was lost when we were trying to get out swarmed in my head, making it harder to breathe.
Newt placed his hand on my shoulder and stood up. He looked down at me and said:
"Pick up your ass, and finish what you started!"
I opened my eyes and looked up. Newt's face turned from a serious expression to a smug one. I rose my eyebrows wondering what changed.
"Lol..." Newt whispered. "Now I'm thinking of your ass." He smirked. "Mhmm."
I felt my cheeks warm up, and smiled at the ground. Minho turned slightly and pushed his hips backwards.
"Though, he can't compete with this."
I looked at Minho and smiled widely. Newt laughed, and it sounded so amazing that I couldn't help myself but to join him. My heart felt lighter, I never realized how magical that sound is and had no idea how much I'd missed it.

I placed my hands in the warm sand and pushed myself up. Newt's words swirled around, clinging in my ears. He was right, I have to finish what I started. Although I don't have a clue where to start.

After a while Minho ran around trying to figure out what to do now. Newt and I packed up the little stuff we got from the office and the glade, before we left. I looked at Minho, sweat running down his face as he approached us. He pointed behind him.
"So I got a little overview. We need to go in this direction. There's many sand dunes so it's hard to see, but I think I see some buildings or mountains or whatever."
I nodded, agreeing. We need water, food and shelter so mountains and buildings are perfect. Additionally it's the opposite direction of where we came from.
Newt stood calmly leaning towards the bridge. He frowned and rose his hand to shield his eyes from the burning light of the sun.
"Okay, so we reach a building or a mountain..." Yes, I thought, not entirely sure where he was going with this. He dropped his hand a little dejected. "...then what?"
Aaah, I exchanged a look with Minho and saw we shared the same thought. Didn't really think that far.

It didn't matter that we had no idea what to do when we arrived, we left anyways. Walking through the sand was exhausting, especially with the sun trying to fry us. Minho were a few steps ahead of us rushing over the top. I looked at Newt who gave me a comforting smile before I returned to Minho seeing that he tumbled over the top shouting.
"No way."
Newt and I glanced at eachother with mutual curiosity. I ran over the top so fast my muscles started to burn.

A small, worn and rusty shack appeared at the bottom. It must have been hidden by the dunes. Minho, with a little too much assiduousness, tripped over and slid down the hill. I grinned, and ran down the hill after him. He rose his hand to knock just as the door opened. A girl with a long ponytail stepped out. She gleamed with confidence, but her eyes flickered wildly from side to side. She dragged us in and shut the door. She gave me this weird feeling, I couldn't stop staring at her. She seemed, almost familiar. Her blue eyes met mine and she smiled, showing off a set of shiny white teeth.
"Thomas." Her voice was low, but managed to fill the entire room. Chills went down my spine. How did she know my name...
"I am Teresa."
I've never heard her name before, but it seemed so familiar. She reached out her hand and then I remembered something, a memory flashed before my eyes. This is the girl I saw the day we escaped the maze. She was in the office, she's one of those who's been watching us. I refused to shake her hand in disguise so her hand dangled in the air before she let it fall.
"You..." I cleared my voice. "You've been watching us."
She shifted uncomfortably from one foot to the other.
"I'm sorry." The small flash of remorse disappeared from her face and her expression darkened.
"You shouldn't be here. You aren't supposed to."
Minho took a step forward, decreasing the distance between them.
"Now you sure have some explaining to do and you better start." He took another step closer, but she didn't seem to mind. Eventually she nodded and took us into the living room.
"I don't know if I should, and definitely not where to start." She kept throwing glances out the window.
"You were never supposed to escape like that." I bit my lip. What did she mean... Like that?
"What do you mean, were we supposed to escape?" She ignored my question and continued on.
"The roof, you see, it shouldn't have fallen down. We have no idea how that happened."
I looked at her. "Who's we?"
"We had to evacuate, I think they wanted to continue the trial... That did not work as planned so they panicked. Maybe they wanted to, no, I don't know..."

This was not helping and I started to get really annoyed with her avoiding my questions.
Newt bent over the table staring into her eyes. "Trial? You make no bloody sense."
"The maze, it was the first trial but you didn't get to finish it, not like you were supposed to. It was a few weeks left... I was actually supposed to join you."
I shook my head, the more she talked the less sense it all made. "The first trial... There are more?"
For the first time she answered my question. "Yes, and I don't doubt that the rest of your friends are heading to the next now. But of course they need you before they can continue the trials."
I saw Newt rubbing his temple and leaning back into his chair. Teresa looked from the window to me.
"I'm so sorry this didn't worked out the way we planned."

Then her glance shifted form me to the door. "But, maybe it will result the same way."

I jumped off my chair making it fall onto the floor. Newt and Minho rose up as well. I think I know why she keeps looking out the window. She's waiting, for them. I turned to the guys sharpening every sense. "We need to go, now. They are coming!"