three

In his later life whenever someone talked about patience, aunt Sharon always told them about the time he had managed to bust up his chin and had gone through the entire stitching process without even letting one tear loose. ( Which was probably an exaggeration of what had happened but Zayn never pointed that out.)

As usual, Zayn and Stan were playing on the porch. The sun was harsh that day, making them sweat through their knickers. Their shirt was already off, lying somewhere in the lounge.

" Come on, Kit," Stan called out to him from beside the water pipes turning one of them on. Zayn's eyes furrowed, confusion clear on his face.

" Stan, what are you doing?" The six-year-old asked, squinting his eyes as the brutal sun rays pierced through them. Stan shrugged.

" Shower." He took the pipe, pressing it's mouth as such that it was spraying water. Zayn's eyes widened as the pipe was directed towards him. The dark skinned boy yelped at the oddly cold contact, his body simmering under the water.

" Stan!" He reprimanded, walking towards him slowly and snatching the pipe away from his tiny hands. " Your mum will kill us."

Stan tilted his head, his eyes widening comically. After a thoughtful second, he shook his head before saying. " No, Mom loves me." Confidently.

Zayn sighed shaking his head at the toddler. " But she doesn't love me." It came out merely as a whisper.

" Come on, kit. Water fun." Stan jumped a little, his little brows furrowing in annoyance.

" But Stan." Zayn started, the pipe still secured in his hand.

" Kit, please. I'm burning, bitch!" Stan stomped on the ground much like the toddler he was. Zayn couldn't help but chuckle at the curse word he had used. It just sounded wrong, how he said it, clearly trying to mimic his mother but his baby shrill voice giving it an amusing edge.

Zayn turned away from his best friend and crossed his arms against his chest, letting the pipe drop to the ground.

" You said you wouldn't say that word again." He tried his best to act disappointed, tucking his lower lip under his teeth to keep the chuckled from escaping him.

" Kit.." The three-year-old whined, wrapping both of his arms around the older lads waist. Zayn struggled to keep himself on his feet as the toddler shook him full force.

" I'm going upstairs." He announced, stripping himself away from his younger cousin and walking towards the front door.

" No kit. I'm sorry." Stan shrieked causing a smile to poke its way towards Zayn's lips. He halted in his footsteps but didn't turn to face his cousin.

" You're sorry?" Zayn asked, feeling proud.

" Yes." Exasperation clear in those words.

" What does that mean?" He said, walking back to the pipe careful to keep his gaze away from the squirming toddler.

" I won't say it again." Stan let out, timidly.

" You promise?" Zayn picked up the pipe testing the water under his fingertips.

" I promise." Stan's usually shrill voice came out sheepish and soft.

" Well, then." The older lad let himself smile brightly before turning around. " Water fun!" He sprayed the water at Stan making him jump. A series of chuckled escaped him as the toddler squirmed under the water screaming and shaking. Once his body got accustomed to the temperature, he just stood there letting the water cool him off. Zayn laughed at his expression of calm, moving closer to him and putting the pipe directly over his head.