reckless

The way you move is like a full-on rainstorm

And I'm a house of cards

You're the kind of reckless

That should send me runnin'

But I kinda know that I won't get far

I remember looking out of my window and watching you play in the rain... again.

You were a silver-and-black blur, running round in circles at superhuman speed as the raindrops fell. The whirlpool you formed snaked upwards, rotating wildly as you ran, uprooting the small bushes and flowers in your backyard - a storm within a storm.

I couldn't see your face, but I was willing to bet that you had your trademark cocky grin on your face, your brown eyes sparkling defiantly as always. Even at ten years old, you seemed completely fearless, not even scared of the fact that the neighbours might have been watching you, that they would have kept six feet away from you at all times, giving you dirty glances while muttering under their breath about how mutants were a threat to national security.

Like they did to me.

It started with me walking by the TV and changing the channels without touching it. Then the exploded power sockets in the house, the day I put the entire district off the grid for two days, the toppled electricity pylons along the street, the fact that no one could go within two feet of me without being thrown into convulsions as I helplessly electrocuted their nerve endings.

I shook my head in disbelief, but kept watching you anyway. You were a symbol of the freedom I could never have, the only person I had ever showed my powers to, because you were the only one on the street I trusted. Apart from that, I kept myself mostly in my room, not wanting to face a world that both hated and feared people like us. I swore never to use my powers again, but they were near impossible to control. If there were some way - any way, to remove them, I'd take it any day.

And then I looked back at the window, and saw you standing in the midst of all the chaos, your shoulder-length silver hair whipping around your face. You shot me a gap-toothed grin. Hey, Y/N. Cool, huh? you mouthed.

Oh yeah, totally! I nodded enthusiastically.

You pointed at me. Your turn now, Blackout.

Don't call me that! I shook my head, alarmed at the electrical sparks that were suddenly emitting from my fingers. I put my hands to the window to show him, then quickly sat on them to prevent starting another fire. It's too dangerous. I'm too dangerous.

I closed the curtains before you could respond.