2

•••••••••••Previously••••••••

April for the last time, what the hell is going on?

Mate is near
•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

My eyes went wide. I could feel my heart beginning to pound violently.

'Mate, my mate.'

After all these years, I was finally going to meet my mate. The time was finally right. I had sat and watched everyone around me since 16 years old begin to find their mates. Most of my friends had already found their soulmates back when we were still in school. I was one of the few wolves left mateless.

Usually, one would meet their mate between the ages of 16-20, typically a year or two after your first shift, where your wolf fully matures and the body fully adapts to shifting, thus meaning my mate could have been in the pack the whole time, and I wouldn't have had any knowledge of who they were. The scary part is that some wolves take longer to mature. They could spend 30 to 40 years without a mate. Some do not have mates at all, but that is highly uncommon. Everyone deserves a mate, at least someone they could share their life with and love. I waited anxiously, anticipating, wishing upon stars, hoping for this day.

'Are you sure?' I asked

'Of course, why would I say it if it wasn't true.' She snarled back.

A smile crept onto my face in anticipation. I was finally going to finally, meet my mate.

"What's going on? Why is your face like that?" Came the voice of my littlest brother, interrupting my thoughts.

"Nothing, go on ahead. I'll catch up." I smiled brightly, butterflies fluttering in my stomach. My parents agreed and left my brothers following in toe. I reached down to clean up the mess from the slice that I had dropped.

After throwing out the garbage, I walked toward the sink and began lathering the soap onto my hands under the warm water. The sun was still peeking above the trees that covered our pack territory. It shined into the window in front of me, lighting up the empty kitchen. Like an alarm, my wolf began sounding. 'Here! Mate!" The butterflies in my stomach had turned into a zoo of animals.

A strong scent consumed me as footsteps sounded coming towards me. The smell was strong, like firewood. I turned around quickly, my hands still soapy and wet. My eyes widened as I met a familiar pair of dark emerald eyes. Elijah stood on the other side of the room. His eyes were narrow as he stared at me.

I couldn't speak, no words came from my brain, and though my wolf was very vocal, I had nothing to say. I found myself stuck in limbo.

I was in disbelief that out of all the werewolves in the world. I had to get stuck with Elijah as a mate.

Neither of us had spoken a word. We only stared at each other. The silence was eating at me slowly. The only sound in the room came from the water droplets dripping down from my fingers onto the hardwood.

I swallowed a lump in my throat. "I-." I began but couldn't finish. He stepped towards me, his body stiff. I couldn't sense nor see any life in his eyes. They were just dark clouded pools of green. My wolf had strangely gone silent, leaving me alone to drown in my thoughts.

Once before me, he bent down slightly, his hands gripping the sides of the sink behind me, trapping me. He let his head hang, lips hovering over my neck. I felt his cold breath on my skin. I waited for him to say something. Anything, but not a single word left his lips. Elijah's breaths were shallow, but I could hear his heart beating abnormally fast. He is seemingly the only reaction to this whole occurrence.