chapter twenty | khari

Two days later

"You really like her, huh?" Karmen asked. We were just laying in her bed, talking. I came over to tell her that I wanted to pursue Malia and I wanted to respect both of them. I knew I had to set a boundary. Karmen was a cool chick. She seemed to have taking it well. I was thankful for that.

I looked over at her, nodding my head. "Yeah I do. It's a weird feeling because I ain't never felt this way about no girl." I said honestly.

"Aww." She cooed. She turned on her side, looking at me. "Well, I hope you get her and I hope she realizes what's in front of her."

"What you mean?" I asked.

"You're a good guy, Khari. Yes we've only had sex a couple of times, but you never made me feel bad for it. You never judged me and before we had sex, you was just a genuine guy. You cared even when you didn't have to." She spoke. "And the way you're handling this situation is good. You didn't need to be juggling two women at the same time. Even if one was just a nut."

"So, you really wasn't looking for nothing monogamous?" I chuckled.

She joined in, shaking her head. "I'm emotionally unstable, boo.. I just needed some good dick and you were more than good." I smirked at her causing her to roll her eyes playfully. "But, I knew we were never going to be anything more than that. I saw the way you were looking at Malia at the gym that day. I'm team Khalia. She's intelligent, pretty, and driven. Eventually, I was gonna push you in her direction."

"You real for that Karmen.. Like, I really fuck with you. Girls like you are really hard to find.."

"Yeah, but I really just want her to be happy. Her last guy was no good. She, if anybody, deserves a good guy." She sat up in the bed, glancing at her phone.

I looked at her curiously. "Who? Duane?"

She nodded her head, looking back at me. "He's slept with so many girls behind her back. I think she only knows of one. He tried to sleep with me, but I'm not a hoe." She laughed causing me to laugh with her. "He's dead weight and she need to let him go."

"Why you ain't ever tell her?"

"We aren't close like that and she probably wouldn't have believed me. She loved Duane and probably still do. He could do no wrong in her eyes." Karmen fluffed her curly hair, stood up and went to the bathroom. I looked at the ceiling, sighing. What if she did still love Duane? I had no shot then. She couldn't deny that we did have a connection. I felt it. I knew she did too.

Minutes later, Karmen came out of the bathroom and went to her drawer. She pulled out some night clothes to slip into after her shower. She turned to me with a smirk on her face. "Last time, in the shower please."

"Last time?" I asked for clarification.

"Last time. I promise." She giggled. I shook my head, pulling my shirt off and throwing it beside her bed. Following her into the bathroom, she ran and turned the shower on.

About two hours later, I was leaving. We didn't even have sex because her father asked her to do something. She gave me a good pep talk and told me to never come back over here again. We could be cordial, but out of respect for Malia, she didn't want her getting the wrong idea. Zipping my jacket and tightened my hat on my head, I decided to run to my apartment.