Longest Night

She didn't want her mother to see how she was feeling just then. She knew once she got home, got settled and let her head clear, she'd realize she was nowhere close to being done with Chris.

Roxanne found herself having a bottle of beer with Wish at the bar where they first met. When the DJ played "Chasing Cars" by Snow Patrol, Roxanne's heart sank. Setting down the bottle on the counter, she leaned back in the booth.

"Are you okay?" asked a concerned Wish.

She forced a smile and nodded. She glanced down at her beer, gathering her thoughts. "I just resigned from my job to help Ma manage the shop. That calls for a celebration, right?"

Wish opened the bottle and took a swig. "Cheers!"

Roxanne followed suit, grimacing at the liquid that passed down her throat.

"She's planning to open it next week, and she's expecting you at the opening," Roxanne said, and took another few gulps.

"Easy there, Foxy. We've got plenty."

A few moments of silence passed as they both drank, Wish opening up his second beer and silently passing another to Roxanne, who accepted it.

"You know, one time I saw a woman wearing a shirt like yours with the word Guess on it...and guess what I said?"

"What?"

"Implants?"

"You're such a jerk!" said Roxanne.

"I know! My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-bitch either," he laughed.

She smiled at him, grateful to him for changing the mood.

"I'm glad you can laugh at my jokes. I find them lame sometimes."

"Is this how you take life? Full of fun and laughter?"

"No, I always take life with a grain of salt, plus a slice of lemon, and a shot of tequila." They both burst out laughing.

Wish was so easy to get along with. No worries and no complications.

Silence reigned as she downed the rest of the second beer and chugged a third.

"Anything you wanted to talk about? Like the reason you're trying to drown yourself in alcohol?"

Her jaw fell open. "There's nothing to talk about."

"It's your call. I won't push you if you don't want to talk about it." He shrugged and took a gulp of beer.

She tugged her lower lip between her teeth, eyes falling. "I saw him."

"Huh? Saw who?" His brows furrowed.

"The twins' father, my...ex." Roxanne took a sharp breath.

"And?"

"He didn't see me. I just ran away. I don't know if I'm ready to talk to him again." Roxanne's lip trembled as she gazed at him. "I'm sorry. I shouldn't be here, but I can't think of anywhere else to go. I don't want my mom to see me like this." She bowed her head in apology.

Gently, he leaned in, wiped away her tears, took her hand and gave it a comforting squeeze.

"Don't you have anything to say? Any violent reactions, comments or suggestions? I'm pathetic, right?" Roxanne choked out, embarrassed.

"It's better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt," Wish said.

"Are you trying to make me laugh again?" She chuckled between each sob.