Chapter 1 - Cara Bray

4th July 2013

Our anniversary is coming up next week. Robert has already made reservations at my favourite restaurant in central Brighton. When I was twenty years old I would never have imagined my life as it is right now. I would have thought I'd be halfway across the world right now seeing different types of cultures and people. Things changed when I met Robert Bray. The quiet business man with the occasional wild nights at Brighton's local bar, Dimples. It was expected to be a one night stand, really, quite like the ones I had frequently. This was different. When we made love I felt something I never felt before with any man. His muscular attire and charming personality made me curious about how this man didn't have a wife or even a girlfriend, giving that he was twenty seven years old at the time. I was twenty five, with no care in the world. Now we're both in our thirties and living the married life like any normal couple would. I just hope it will stay that way for a while.

____________________________________________________________________________________

"I remember," Robert says while drinking his fourth drink at the bar, "how you used to come here every night and flirt with every single guy in this place. I used to see you."

Robert has a tendency to bring back memories I wish to forget. Those nights when I used to come to this very bar and act like a complete idiot with my idiotic friends. I don't mind coming here now, showing that I'm not like I used to be. I think the bartenders remember me quite well. 

"You know, I wish I could have met you before I could make a fool of myself in front of these people." I say, rolling my eyes towards the bartenders, who I vaguely remember besides being drunk most of the nights.

Robert always had a wicked sense of humour when it came to my past, and I love him for that. Most guys look at me like I'm still the whore I was seven years ago. Meeting Robert has definitely improved the way people think of me and the way I think of myself. I found a boost of self esteem whenever I slept with a random guy. When a man finds me attractive, I would forget about how I think of myself and picture me as this goddess who has every guy wrapped around her finger. Oh boy, did I think that the wrong way.

"Well now you don't have to worry about those things. Forget about it." Again, Robert says I should forget about my past but he keeps bringing it up. I wish I could understand men and their brains.

I smile at my husband and look down. I can feel his hand touching my arm and I look up again. His hazel eyes looking straight at mine. He smiles at me and finishes his drink. As I made my way to the front door, I pictured myself talking to a guy playing pool in the corner of the bar. With my mini skirt and a top so low-cut my breasts can just say hello themselves to the men I flirted with. I quickly remove the image from my head and look at my husband standing at the bar paying for the drinks. Look at him, so naive. I wish I could tell him of my doings. I love him, but I love my old self more.