Recovery

I hear the beeping as I slowly come into consciousness. Someone's hand is around my own, and the hush of voices sound far away. I can also hear someone humming. The voice sounds so familiar. I strain to hear his voice and I desperately want to open my eyes. His voice clicks and internally I struggle to open my eyes, to reach out to him.

        I hear the beeping increase and a door open. Footsteps come closer to us, and stop right by me.

        "Is she okay?"

        I can hear the concern in his voice and it makes me want to see him that much more.

        "She'll be fine. Here you go honey. Just relax," I hear a girl coo. Her voice helps calm me, and the next thing I know the beeping is slowing down. I feel myself falling into sleep, and I'm not sure if it's a good thing or a bad thing. I don't get to think about it for long though because as Jace starts to hum again I fall into a deep dreamless sleep.

        My eyes open slowly and I have to blink a couple of times before I can actually see. I can faintly hear the steady, rhythmic beeping in the background. I look to my right and see Jace passed out on my hand clutching it to his cheek. I look around me and that's when I realize I'm at the hospital.

        A nurse comes in the door and comes over to check my vitals. I have to clear my throat before I can speak.

        "How long have I been here?"

        I whisper the words and pointedly look at Jace so she knows not to wake him. She smiles and whispers back,

        "For a week."

        I shake my head and start on my next question.

        "What about Lewis?"

        She gives me a sympathetic look.

        "He's up for trial tomorrow. But we all know he's gonna be put away"

        "If you don't mind I have one more question.....when do I get out of here?"

        This time she gives me a full blown smile.

        "Today actually. You're back is all closed up and just needs to finish healing, you're throat is a little raw but you'll be fine, you're head has a couple bumps but you'll heal, and you're bruised all over your stomach but they'll go away. We were just waiting for you to wake up."

        I feel Jace start to stir so I whisper a quick thank you and wait for him to wake up. I don't have to wait long. When he raises his head and finally looks at me I smile and whisper, "Hey."

        He reaches out and smooths down my hair never taking his eyes away from mine.

        "You terrified me you know. I didn't know what had happened to you, and then we couldn't figure out how to find you. He sent us videos and I felt like I would explode. That second video when you wouldn't tell him anything I was so proud of you but I was also so angry that you wouldn't just tell him and stop the pain. When I walked in and I saw you in the flesh I couldn't believe my eyes. You looked lifeless. But then you looked at me and I was so angry at what he had done to you. When you said my name I just about jumped in the air I was so happy I'd found you but i was so angry I had taken so long. Now, I need you to promise me something, Emma."

        As he'd been talking tears had started to slip down my cheeks. He gently brushes them away and says, "I need you to promise me you won't ever disappear on me like that again.Okay?"

        I nod my head as the tears gain momentum and I whisper,

        "I won't. But you have to promise you'll never give up on me. That you'll never leave me."

        He gives me a heart wrenching smile and says, "I promise." I hear the monitor speed up as he leans in and kisses me. He smiles, unconnects the wires, lifts me out of bed and says,

        "Let's get out of here."

        I smile and lay my head on his shoulder as we leave this place.

        I brace myself as I walk up to the witness stand to tell my story. I settle behind it and look at Lewis. We both know he's going away, but I don't think he cares. I look around at all the faces staring at me waiting to hear my story. I look down, and start with that first night. I'm quickly swept away with the memories and I can faintly hear the appalled gasps and outraged grunts as I go.

        When I'm done someone leads me back to my seat. I keep my head held high as I wait to hear the judgement. The council breaks to discuss, and after ten minutes we're all back in our seats. The foreman stands up and says,

        "We find the defendant," we all hold our breath as we wait to hear the end, "guilty." 

         I breathe a sigh of relief and stand as they take Lewis away. Jace holds out his hand and I gratefully take it as we walk out of the court house.