The Engagement

Once Cal had incapacitated the little lightning girl, yes we had already found a clever name for he courtesy of mother. Cal was in mood and was being extremely resistant to leave the girl in mothers care, I wouldn't blame him. Cal was pacing in the throne room, even more restless then before. Mother was busy "interrogating" her. Once father walked in again ignoring me Cal and him launched into conversation asking me to leave the room. 

Once I returned mother was already standing next to father on one side and Cal on the other. I took my usual place the tip farthest away from father. In came the girl with the wildly curly hair, only it was straightened as if all the volume was flaunted out of it. 

"You will kneel" Mother murmurs

The girl continues standing, she's a brave one. I'm surprised mother doesn't make her. "I will not" the girl barks back sassy, I quirk a side of my lips up amused.

Father sat forward quirking his head "Do you enjoy your cell, girl?" He asks glaring 

The girl looked down then back at the king sending a glare right back "What do you want with me?" she asks still holding her head up high.

Father opens her mouth as if about to say something but is then interrupted by mother " I told you, she red through-"But as usual father bats her away like an insect. 

Then speaks for himself "What I want with you is impossible." Father snaps glaring as the room grows in temperature.

The girl rolls her eyes once again "I'm not sorry you can't kill me" she huffs  

Father chuckles "They didn't say you were quick" I rolled my eyes at that remark they never said anything about her to me, the girl's face relaxes at father's laughter. Then father continues "Mare Molly Barrow, born November 17 , 302 of the new era to Daniel and Ruth Barrow" Father recites from memory, He remembers this odd girl's name but not the fact he has a second son.The girl isn't much older then me. Father continues "You have no occupation and are scheduled for conscription on your next birthday. You attend school sparingly, your academic test scores are low, and you have a list of offenses that would land you in prison in most cities. Thievery, smuggling, resisting arrest, to name a few. All together you are poor, rude, immoral, unintelligent, impoverished, bitter, and stubborn and a blight upon your village and my kingdom."

I couldn't help but look at my feet, what father was saying may have been true but harsh. I could tell Cal thought so too, He was looking at the girl, Mare was her name oddly. The girl doesn't argue and steal she looks forward holding her head high. Father sighs "And yet" he continues rising to his feet "You are something else. Something I cannot fathom. You are Red and Silver both, a peculiarity with deadly consequences you cannot understand. So what am I to do with you?" He asks 

The girl's face lit up "You could let me go. I wouldn't say a word"

Mother cackles like some kind of which "And what of the high houses? Will they keep silent as well? Will they forget the little lightning girl in the red uniform?" My curiosity shoots up by her remark. What are they gonna do with her. Mother continues "You know my advice Tiberias" Mother says Calling my father by his name with no affection at all "And it will solve both our problems"

Cal's fist clenches, a fist letting out a faint growl. The girl, Mare glances at cal studying him, noticing the fire behind his eyes. 

Father nods "Yes Elara" he rumbles "We cannot kill you, Mare Barrow. So we will hide you in plain sight where we can watch you, protect you and attempt to understand you"

The Temperature in the room rises even I felt it as Cal barks out taking a step forward "Father!" As if he objects to keeping the girl alive, and protected. I step forward grabbing his arm to calm him. If he truly had a problem with the girl living I would assure him that she wouldn't be permanent, besides I couldn't have him interrupting things were just getting interesting

Father goes on for once ignoring Cal, I attempt to fight a smile riding on my face, finally he gets to know what it's like. "You are no longer Mare Barrow Red daughter Of stilts." 

The girl interrupts "Then who I am" she asks her voice shaking with panic

Father answers rolling his eyes he hates being interrupted "Your fathers was Ethan Titanos, general of the Iron Legion, killed when you were an infant. A soldier, a Red man, took you for his own and raised you in the dirt, never telling you your true parentage. You grew up believing you were nothing, and now, thanks to chance, you are made whole again. You are Silver, a lady of a lost high house. A noble with great power, and one day a princess of Norta" I let out a small gasp a princess must marry a prince, immense confusion crashed into like a tital wave. Mare's eyes flutter to Cal then back to Father her mouth gaping open. She stutters something but I completely miss that. Father continues "You will Marry my son Maven, and you'll do it without putting a tow out of line." he finishes

Another huge wave of confusion crashes into me making me sputter. This time it's Cal who has to restrain me. I don't bother giving him a moments glance, My eyes are on the girl, apparently my fiance, I finally manged to get words out of mouth barley making sense "I don't understand" I say taking a step forward shrugging off my brutish brother "She's-why-?"

Mother instant enter my head silencing me "Quiet" She say aloud "You Will obey" I glare back wanting to say more, alas standing back into my place my her whispering. The next moments were a blur I could make out the girl's faint voice but still not processing the words coming out, this wasn't making any sense I thought staring at my shoes. I was supposed to be able to pick, make my own future, with the one I choose. Being forced into a marriage was supposed to be Cal's burden not mine.

Mare's voice snaps me out of the zone I'd been thrown in "By marrying- sorry what's your name again?"

I could feel my cheeks flushing sliver "My name is Maven" I announce my voice soft and quiet. "And I still don't understand" I said staring at the girl like an insect trying to understand her. 

Cal interrupts once again becoming the center of attention "What Father is trying to say is that she represents an opportunity for us. His voice strong and authoritative unlike mine "If the Reds see her, a sliver by blood but a red by nature, raised up with us, they can be placated. it's like an old fairy tale, a commoner becoming a princess . She's their champion.They can look at her instead of the the terrorist" Cal's voice softens "She's a distraction" Cal continues taking a breath "And if we get the story right, the high houses will be satisfied too. You're the lost daughter of a war hero, What better honor can we give you?" He says glumly meeting Mare's eyes and silently shaking his head

Father takes of from there "This isn't a request lady Titanos, You will go through with this, and you will do it properly."

Mother's narrows her eyes at her "You will live here, as custom for royal brides. Everyday will be scheduled at my discretion, you will be tutored in everything and anything possible to make you-"  Mother chews on her lip a habit of hers "Suitable You will be scrutinized. From now on you live on the edge of a knife. One false step, one wrong word, and you will suffer for it."

Mare's face took on a troubled state "What about my life?"

Mother smiled like Mare's some animal that just ran into a wall "What life, Girl you have fallen head over heels into a miracle."

Cal squeezed his eyes shut as if he's in pain, but i was the one having a right taken away from me. He had no right to be upset "She means her family. Mare, the girl has a family"

"Oh that" father huffs, sitting back down into his chair "I suppose they we'll give them an allowance, keep them quiet."

Mare's back straightens raising her head high for the first time since finding out about the surprise engagement "I want my brothers brought home from war" she states "And my friend Killorn Warren Don't let the legions take him either"

Father's doesn't even take time to answer "Done"

With that Mare is escorted from the room. And the throne session is over.