Chapter 1

Laura Wren paid the taxi driver and wrapped her coat tighter around herself as she launched out of the car and towards the door of the of the old warehouse building. She hated the cold which was a fact that she found mildly amusing since her nickname was the Ice Queen.

Laura knew she was beautiful because she had been told she was since she was a very little girl. Not that her beauty had made her life any easier. In some ways it had, but for the most important things in life it had little meaning, if any, and it actually made life a little harder where the opposite sex was concerned. Most men she encountered thought they were going to be the one to thaw the Ice Queen.

The chill followed her into the building's lobby and elevator as she pressed the button for the top floor. Today was her first day working with a new photographer, Davis Stevens. He was supposed to be the best, most sought after photographer in the business, and it was a feather in the cap of the Landau Company to have him doing their latest add campaign.

Landau was one of the most popular cosmetic brands in the world and Laura had been their spokes model for the past three years. She had just about saved enough money to retire and never have to worry about her finances again, which meant independence from her family's money.

Her plan, after her five year contract with Landau was over, was to retire south somewhere where it was warm and sunny all year long and finish her education. She had always wanted to work in a library and be surrounded by books, not people, all day.

As the elevator came to a grinding halt she put on her game face. A look that had taken her years to perfect. Her chin held high her eyes and face devoid of all emotion, she walked into a massive room with windows running the entire length of one wall and so much sunlight that took very little conditioned air to warm it.

Quickly scanning the room, she saw that there was a line of dressing tables in the center of the large room where fellow Landau model Kelly Harper was already sitting and working on her makeup. Walking over to an empty table, Laura sat her large bag down and began to remove her outer layers.

"Isn't it divine that they got Davis Stevens to shoot the catalogue this year?" Kelly asked as Laura sat down next to her.

Kelly was a beautiful brunette with hazel eyes and a warm skin tone. She filled the all American girl next door niche in the catalogue every year. She was a few years younger than Laura, but was much more experienced in some areas.

Kelly overdressed for every occasion and today was no exception; she was wearing three inch heels and a tight cut business suit. She was out to make an impression.

"It couldn't be worse than last year." Laura said as she remembered the photographer that had shot the previous year's catalogue. He had been very hands on with his models which had made Laura extremely uncomfortable. The only reason she hadn't complained was because in the modeling business you were not supposed to be private with your body.

"Oh, but I liked Roger, he was wonderful." Kelly smiled remembering.

"That's probably because you and he had a heated affair." Laura grimaced inwardly at the thought. Why anyone would want to be close to him was beyond her, she had always had the feeling that he didn't bathe much.

"Well, wait until you meet this year's photographer. Everyone in the business is itching to have their picture taken by him. They say it's amazing what he can capture through his lens. I've only met him once and ohhh..." Kelly fanned her face and rolled her eyes.

"And I bet he knows it."

"Who cares... as long as he's willing to share the goods, and I hear he isn't stingy. Kelly laid her long body out over her chair making her short skirt ride up her long legs and her dark hair cascaded over the back of the chair. She was in her pose ready to make an impression.