Chapter 4

I sit on the stair above the one Hailey's on, where she's checking some sound waves on her laptop with her earplugs in. I don't know about that stuff, but it's Hailey's whole life. The girl would tattoo musical notes on her forehead if she could. Her mother would kill her.

I tap her on the shoulder, and she turns around not even a little startled. She nods at me, and takes out one of the buds.

"Hey dude," she says fist pumping me.

"Hey," I reply, reaching for the discarded bud, and putting it in my left ear.

"So where'd you head off to?" The beat vibrates in my skull. I don't know how she can listen to her music so loud. Its deafening, but I like whatever she has on.

"I had an English paper to print out." The lie comes out before I even know what I'm saying. Although, it's not a complete lie, I do have an English paper due today. I just still have to print it out. Which I will, after school.

"Fatal man. I haven't even started mine," Hailey shakes her head, and focuses back on her laptop.

"If it's any consolation, you still have twenty-four hours before its due?" I offer, but she purses her lips.

"Nah, I close the restaurant tonight, and I already asked for an extension for my Chemistry lab report, so ...I'll be dancing with Bill Nye tonight."

"Sucks," I shake my head. She shrugs as the next song comes on, and her screen starts to go wild.

"Check this out," Hailey goes back to being Hailey, and types stuff into the laptop. Then suddenly the sound amplifies, and there's this curious echoing accompanying the beat. If there's something Hailey was born to do, it's this. Its making music, and editing, and making people feel like they can feel music. It's too bad her grades might get in the way of her getting a scholarship next year for some cool music school.

People like Jade and Alyssa don't have to worry about stuff like that. They're seniors this year, and even though their grades aren't the best, it doesn't matter. They're loaded. Next year, when Hailey and me are seniors, we'll be saving every last dime for college tuition.

Jordan's a senior this year, too. The reason we happen to have classes together is because I've managed to get in some of the same electives, or he had to retake a class that I happen to be in, or I'm a grade level ahead for a class. Such as my fifth period Calculus class, which happens to be filled with seniors, except for a couple exceptions.

Math, is actually Hailey's best subject. Despite failing almost every other class, she's also one of the exceptions. She claims her success is due to the pot she likes to do during her bathroom break before fifth, but I hope she's just kidding. I haven't had any confirmation that that's a joke though.

I pull out a sandwich from my backpack, and bag of Lays. I offer half the sandwich to her, and she takes it. Hailey continues to show me different tracks, and tries to show me how she did the echo trick. We might not be besties and all, but seeing as Hailey is as much of a friend as any, I start to feel bad that I didn't tell her about Jade. It's not like Jade would find out, right?

I've never told Hailey that I like Jordan, but if my crush is as obvious as Jade said, then maybe she already knows? Well, whether she does or not, I'll just keep the Jade situation to myself. I don't want to ruin anything I have with Hailey. I would miss those chili cheese fries too much....and Hailey, of course. So for now, I'll keep my mouth shut.

 So for now, I'll keep my mouth shut