There's Magic in the Air

"Elsa Elsa Elsa, get up! The sky's awake, so I'm awake, so I have to play!" I hear Anna's little five year old voice whine, waking me up. I glance around, and instead of seeing Anna tucked into her little pink bed where she should be, she's out of sight. She's not playing by her little pink toy chest, and she's not hiding in her little pink curtains or in her little pink closet either. I start to sit up to look for her, but she jumps from behind my bed and lands on top of me, saying, "Get up get up get up!"

"Go play by yourself," I say sleepily, rolling over and pushing Anna's body off of me and onto the floor. She lands with a soft thud, and goes silent. I'm about to fall back asleep when crawls back on top of me and says slyly, "Hey Elsa... do you wanna build a snowman?"

My eyes snap open, and I'm instantly wide awake. When I was born, I had powers to make winter happen anywhere, and Anna's favorite thing to do was help me build a snowman. We always build the same snowman, and last time we played we gave him a name: Olaf. I jump out of my blue bed and we scurry out of our room, Anna laughing loudly and me shushing her, saying, "Shh, Anna, you're gonna wake up Mama and Papa!" We burst into the dining room, which is filled with moonlight and strange shadows. We gather in the middle of the room, and Anna excitedly squeals, "Do the magic, do the magic!"

I smile, and grant her wish, sending a ball of magic towards the ceiling. The magic ball bursts, and it starts to snow. Glittering white powder coats the wooden beams supporting the ceiling and walls, and moonlight softly shining through the huge stained glass windows illuminates the ice floors, making it seem like the floor has a silvery glow. Anna's turquoise eyes sparkle almost as bright as the snowflakes themselves as she yells, "This is amazing!"

Anna loves every moment of it, and runs around screaming her head off out of pure excitement. Once the snow begins to make piles, Anna and I jump in and make snow angels, pulling each other out of the snow once we finish one so we don't ruin our angels with footprints. Then Anna starts a snowball fight, and we finish it by collapsing on the floor in fits of laughter.

Next, Anna and I rebuild Olaf. I pretend to put his arms in the wrong places, and Anna shoves me and grabs his arms, saying, "No, this is where his arms go, silly!" When it's done, I go behind Olaf and make him say in a funny voice, "Hi, I'm Olaf, and I like warm hugs!" She jumps up and down and hugs Olaf, saying, "I love you Olaf!"

But Anna sees a snowdrift, and leaves Olaf and decides to jump on it. Seeing another one not far from the first one, she makes a game of it, jumping from snowdrift to snowdrift. When she runs out of snowdrifts to jump on, she turns to me and asks, "Can you make more for me? Please?"

I sigh and shake my head, but I make more snowdrifts for her. As Anna starts jumping faster and faster, I make the snowdrifts appear faster and faster, but it's starting to be too fast for me. Panicking, I realize I could not make a snowdrift in time for Anna and she would die.

Thinking fast, I make the next snowdrift shorter than the one before it, causing Anna to jump slower. I keep making the snowdrifts shorter and Anna keeps jumping slower, until she jumps onto the shortest snowdrift and it explodes in a cloud of white fluff. Anna lays on the ground laughing her head off, but I'm trying to forget that moment of panic I had when I thought Anna was going to die. I never wanted anyone to get hurt. Maybe it's time to stop for today, I thought to myself.

"Anna, we should stop playing now. It's gonna be morning soon," I say, my voice a bit shaky.

"Aww, Elsa," she says, looking at me with puppy eyes.

"No, we can't play anymore," I say, turning towards the door.

"But who's gonna clean up?" Anna asks, looking around the room. It really does look like a mess now that we're not playing in it, but how do you clean up snow and ice without melting it?

"I don't know, Anna. Maybe the servants will. Let's just go to bed," I say, walking towards the door.

"Maybe you can melt it!" Anna exclaims, pointing a finger at me. It was almost as if she ignored me completely.

"I've never tried it before Anna, it might not work," I say, turning towards her.

"So try!" She says, jumping up and down, excited that she gets to see me do more magic.

I smile at my sister's excitement, and focus on putting all my efforts into putting all the snow and ice back into one magic ball. It takes a while, but finally, everything zooms back into bright blue ball of magic. With a flick of my wrist, the magic is gone, and the ballroom is spotless. We look around, nod, and run back to our rooms, Anna laughing her head off and me shushing her.