Part 4

I wandered the train for a couple of hours, somehow not being bored out of my mind. I stopped at the little restaurant thing they had in the middle of the train and ordered a coffee. It came quickly seeing as nobody else was there.

"How's your trip so far, miss?" The man asked. He was average height, had brown hair, and was fairly buff. He did not look as if he should've been working on a train making food and drinks for people. I kept myself on high alert.

"Not bad, it's not my first trip on a train before."  I said, taking a sip of my coffee. Gasping slightly I brought the cup away from my lips. The coffee was definitely fresh, and my tongue was burned. Blowing across the surface of my coffee, I slowly looked around the room. Knowing my surroundings helped me deal with pain, no matter how minor.

"Mm, so, do you travel often?" He asked, leaning on the large counter in front of me.

"Not really, but it's necessary for work, now and then." I said, sitting up straighter, leaning away from him. He was too close for comfort.

"Where do you work?" He asked.

"I don't see how that is any of your business." I said, looking him dead in the eye.

"Hey, okay, didn't mean to pry," he said, leaning back and holding up his hands.

I groaned and shook my head, "Sorry, I'm not used to talking about my job, my boss is- was- really secretive."

"Was?"

"Well, I quit my job so he's my ex-boss," I said, and then took a small sip of my coffee.

"Ah," he nodded, "I see, that's understandable. Why'd you quit?"

"Oh, many reasons, but the biggest one would probably be the fact that just one mistake and you'd be in huge trouble. It was pretty cutthroat there."

"So... Still not willing to disclose your job?" He asked with a smile that stretched from ear to ear. A smile that showed me he was enjoying the jocular tone our conversation had switched to.

"Unfortunately, my secret remains." I said with a small smile. I was beginning to actually enjoy talking to this person.

*****

I kept talking to the server, who's name I figured out was Andrew, for almost an hour. It was the first time I'd made small talk since my last mission. It felt weird because I was actually enjoying the conversation. It flowed smoothly from topic to topic.

When I glanced down at my watch, the little black numbers read three thirty. I stared at my watch, trying to hide the surprise on my face.

"Wow, it's already three thirty!" I laughed.

"Ah, how time flies when you're having fun." Andrew smiled at me, and I smiled back. It was a genuine smile.

"I'd better go, I need a nap. Work had me up way before the sun came up. Plus," I motioned to the couple entering the compartment, "you've got more customers now."

He nodded, straightening his back. He waved at me before walking down to where the couple sat, giggling about something one of them said.

I returned to the room to find Baelfire gone. I made a mental note of it, but didn't worry. We were on a moving train and he could handle himself.

I kicked off my boots and belly flopped onto the bed. My shoulder protested the sprawled position I assumed, so I adjusted it. Sweet sleep came quickly.