Chapter 21

~Day 59~
I screamed out bloody murder as the object struck the back of our jet, sending me flying into the now-shattered glass from our roof. Our jet immediately began a nose dive, down into whatever was below us in the pitch black.

"Mayday mayday! We're under attack!" Payne yelled into his microphone, sending the message back to the base, while furiously trying to regain control of the jet.

Panicked, I tried all I could to look down and find our coordinates, but my dashboard was blacked out from the damage. We had almost completely lost control of the jet. All of a sudden, I heard the hum of our jet spurt to a stop.

"We've lost an engine!" I screamed, seeing us plummeting even farther down. My oxygen mask was pumping so much air into my face from the fast drop in altitude, I could barely keep my eyes open. Please don't let us die.

"Brace for impact!" Payne yelled, still trying to steer us up. We landed with a giant splash and submerged under the water and I felt a jolt of pain surge up my arm.

With all the force, the flotation devices that deployed on the sides of the jet were barely able to life us back up to air. We bobbed up out of the water, taking in a huge breath as we prepared to go back under.

Our cab immediately began filling with water as we again sunk down below into the deep dark ocean.

"Woods! Get out, now!" He yelled, as we both began furiously trying to unbuckle ourselves out of our multiple safety harnesses.

"I can't! I'm stuck!" I yelled, being able to free myself from every belt but one. My arm began hurting even more from the pain of trying to unbuckle so fast. I then felt the back of the jet sinking into the water further, causing the straps to become even tighter against my chest. I screamed for Payne, knowing he'd go down under before me.

Just as Payne's end of the jet went completely under water and I began to think that was the last I would ever see of him, he emerged with a cut on his forehead, holding a first aid and emergency kit. Inside was an inflatable raft which he pulled the cord on, making it inflate instantly next to the jet.

He then swam over to me and began trying to undo my belt, the jet still sinking at a steady rate.

I could feel the water rising closer and closer to my neck as I yelled, "Payne, hurry!"

"This fucking thing!" He growled in frustration, before grabbing a shard of glass from the broken roof and cutting the belt.

I immediately scrambled out of the jet next to him, and into the freezing water. He pulled the raft over towards us just as the last piece of the jet went under. He climbed up into it first, helping me in afterwards. I immediately began shivering, the small gusts of wind freezing my wet body.

Breathing heavily, I looked over towards the water and saw the jet underneath, sinking slowly to the bottom of the ocean floor. I prayed that our last coordinates were transmitted to the camp for a little bit of hope we would be found.

We sat there in the raft for about five minutes, both of us still in shock from the entire situation. I went to hug my arms around me, but immediately hissed in pain, catching Payne's attention.

"Let me see your arm." He said making me shake my head. "Woods you're hurt. Let me see it." He demanded, reaching his arm out towards me.

"N-no." I whimpered right as my emotions caught up to me and I started crying. Payne's eyes widened at me, not knowing if I was crying in pain or just in general.

"I promised my dad I wouldn't leave him...I promised." I cried softly, slumping down in the raft, pulling my legs up to my chest. How did I not think this was going to happen to me? I now knew why my father was so worried when I left.