Chapter 5.

Hal would never, ever, no matter what, be rude to a customer. She valued her business and well, her values too much. She hated people who were rude to their customers. She thought they were the unnecessary scum of the business world. But the Friday of Hal's first date with Daniel, the woman was just asking for it.

Hal was sitting at the front counter of "Martinez and Matthews," writing down the new records she received that day, and humming along to a song by Amy Winehouse. She was comfortable in her big sweatshirt and furry boots, and a cup of hot coffee was sitting beside her notebook. It was getting colder by the day and Hal loved it; she loved the winter and all the warm things she got to indulge in during it.

Some people were looking around and Hal glanced up to see if anyone needed help. Everyone seemed to be content with browsing.

A woman appeared at the counter and sat down a couple of records, along with one CD. Hal didn't keep a lot of CDs in the store but she did have a few of the newest releases and a small collection of used ones in the back. Hal peered up at the woman and resisted the urge to grimace. She was tall, with a long nose, beady eyes, and short graying-brown hair. She reminded Hal of an evil school teacher or a witch in a children's movie.

"I'll never understand my daughter's fixation on these things. I didn't care for them when I was young and I can't stand them now. Music is a waste of time."

Hal moved what she was doing to the side so she could check out this woman's purchases. She remained silent, not wanting to show her offence. Hal's life revolved around music and she didn't understand how people could find it to be a waste of anything. The woman peered down at the stack of records Hal had been sorting through before she came up to her. Her lips were pulled tightly over her teeth in a scowl. Hal didn't want to give the woman the time to speak so she went into robot cashier mood.

"That'll be $32.50."

"Elton John... That kind shouldn't be famous."

Hal stopped what she was doing. She curled her fingers around her cash register, trying with all her reserve to keep her anger down. She knew exactly what this woman meant and she didn't want to associate with people like her.

"Being openly gay! As if it were something to be proud of! And parading around in those ridiculous outfits! How unnerving it is to look at. "

One year for Christmas, Cameron had given Hal an obscene t-shirt about loving women as a gift. If there had ever been a time when Hal wished she was wearing that t-shirt, it would have been then.

"And those babies that he and that... man have. Those poor dears will never know a mother's touch. It's a shame that they were even allowed to adopt them."

"That'll be $32.50" Hal repeated. She wanted no part in this woman's uneducated conversation. She refused to show this woman her anger but it was hard to keep the frustration out of her voice. The woman was tap dancing on Hal's nerves.

"Watch your tone, young woman. Is that anyway to treat a costumer?" the woman asked. Hal winced away, feeling like the woman had turned a bright lamp towards her as if they were in an interrogation scene. Her integrity was being compromised because of this woman's openness about being a supremacist.

Hal looked at the woman and pressed her lips into a hard line. Slowly, she said "no, ma'am."

The woman scoffed and rolled her eyes. She handed Hal $50.00 and Hal quickly started to sort out her change, wanting the woman gone.

"You should learn to speak to people with respect, girl. You don't want to lose business" the woman spat. Her eyes wandered over the store.

"If you even get any. With a dump like this; I'm surprised you're still up and running." she added.