Chapter Three - Spirit Bear Discovers Weakness

Chapter Three

Spirit Bear Discovers Weakness

Spirit Bear was pleased to see his ska winyan eat with hunger. She hadn't much of an appetite since the large wasicun had hurt her. Her current appetite led him to believe that the medicine he'd applied to her was beginning to take hold. It was the will of Wakantanka that her health was being returned to her. Spirit Bear offered a small chant of thanks.

He walked towards the bound ska sunka. He untied James's hands and handed him some meat and vegetables. James shook with hunger, but before he was able to grab his food, he rubbed his red wrists. They were raw, chaffed, and bleeding; thankfully, he could not feel the pain due to the numb tingling. James did not resist the red man; he ate with relish.

*****************************************************************************

After securing James back, Spirit Bear offered the same treatment to Jed. Jed's eyes were narrowed with hatred, but he also did not fight. He, like his brother, rubbed his hands together for several moments before wolfing down his food. Drinking the last of the water from the skin the Indian held out to him, he contemplated his choices.

Jed knew that physically, he was no match for the Native American in his current condition; he was feeble from the hours of traveling bound to the back of a horse, and of course, the lack of a decent meal made him feel weak. He was the larger, more solid man of the two, but he wasn't packed with sheer muscle. Jed would still be willing to try to pulverize the red man with his bare hands, except he realized hands were no match against the Injun's piercing knife, bow and arrows, and who knew what else in his supply stash.

To be retied was certain death, Jed knew, but the damn heathen watched him like a hawk. Still, he'd managed to stow away a sharp rock. He planned on sawing through the ropes during the night hours when the filthy savage when to lie with his future wife. At least the loathed man hadn't yet taken his woman! That proved he was no real man at all.

Jed knew it was imperative to make his move tonight. Kaitlin was still pure for him, but once they reached the village, her time to remain untouched was very limited. Once they weren't traveling and that red beast took her into his dwelling, it was all over for her purity. When the red scum finished taking from her, who knew if he'd keep her indefinitely, kill her, or give her to his friends.

If Kaitlin was defiled by Injuns, Jed would never want her for his wife; he would not take red man's left overs. Kaitlin was innocent and trusted the warrior just because he had treated her with sympathy. She had no idea how appealing to every male she truly was.

He loathed his position. He didn't think it was wrong of him to take what he wanted - whether it was the rape and killing of the Injun maidens or of Kaitlin herself. What Jed Coldwater wanted, he took.

With regret, Jed allowed the Injun to retie his hands. He glared at Spirit Bear with narrowed eyes to let the Injun know he wasn't intimidated. Jed felt more courageous because the stowed rock had given him hope. Maybe after he worked himself free after nightfall, he could kill the brave while he slept and then finish what he'd started with Kaitlin.

Jed's eyes roamed to where the large overo stallion stood. He would take him as well. The horse would make him a load of money. He could breed him and fetch a handsome price for any offspring. Jed smiled at the prospect of having the woman he wanted, a fetching stud, and the announcement that he'd killed a dangerous Injun! The town would have to elect him mayor!

******************************************************************************

Spirit Bear was at last finished with his chores. He could ensure himself that the winyan was improving. Her rapid deterioration this afternoon had alarmed him. He knew it was simply the heat of the day, lack of water, and the constant movement, but he had to be sure. Head injuries were not something to take lightly.