Chapter 10

Jho

"Don't put your happiness
in other people's hands.
They'll drop it.

They'll drop it every time."

"That's what friends are for right?"

Just like that, my world fell apart. Now I know that there's no chance for us. Friends? That's all we are. When we arrived at my condo, I quietly walked Bea to her car and bid goodbye. We didn't talk much on the way home. I was not in the mood to answer her questions or even react.

I glanced at the window after I crashed into my bed. Why doesn't she feel the same? My tired eyes were starting to close. I have to start ignoring her starting tomorrow, and focus on work and other activities. I'm eager to get rid of this feeling. I should be fine – I've always been. How could this hurt when this isn't the first time I was let down.

--

Monday

I did my routines as soon as I woke up, then grabbed my cup of coffee before walking briskly to my car. I could have invited her to have breakfast but you wouldn't do that to just friends. I should know better.

When I arrived at the office, I noticed a note posted on my table.

Please meet me in my office. Urgent.

I rushed to her door and twisted the knob, but when I was about to push it, a guy forcefully swung it open from the inside, causing me to lose my balance and let go of my cup. The coffee went straight to his clothes.

"Oh my God! Sorry! Nagmamadali kasi ako and I didn't see you. Shit-"

I am so guilty.

He smiled warmly and squeezed my arm lightly. "It's alright, miss. May extra ako sa sasakyan."

Of course, I wouldn't put him through hassles so I offered to have it fixed.

"I-i'll fix that. Hand it to me when you've changed."

"There's no need, really. I'll be back." And then he walked out of the room.

I sighed. How could my day start like this? Everything is such a mess and I hate it. Missing Bea this bad definitely is distracting and annoying.

I made myself comfortable on the couch while waiting for my boss to finish her call. She popped out of the conference room and smiled the moment she saw me.

"Good morning Jho. About the introduction where-" Her eyes searched for someone.

"Hi. Uhm, I'm sorry I had to change." The guy who I spilled coffee on entered the office.

"There you are. Jho, this is Mr. Marci Jeune Bacalla. He's the new intern. Well, he's the son of the CEO, but he wants to be exposed around the whole business and picked this department to start his internship."

I gave him a polite smile and offered my hand. "Jhoana Louisse Maraguinot, senior designer. You can call me Jho, sir."

He firmly shook my hand, his facial expression soft. "Don't call me 'sir'. Marci is fine. I'm excited to work with you, Jho."

--

So, I'm assigned to accompany and teach Marci how things work here in our department. From paperworks, designs, plates to whatever requirement is given to each member of team I am responsible of 'educating' him. Although it seems annoying that I'd have to answer all his questions, my workload decreased so, I'm not going to whine.