Chapter 3 - Sleep, Baby, Sleep...or Not

"Go ahead. Open it!" Tom urges with a suspiciously proud-of-himself smirk.

I honestly can't guess what it can be. He's never big on gifts, and today is not supposed to be any special occasion. What is he giving me? It's a box of considerable size and when I try to slide it across the table towards myself, it feels quite heavy.

"Go on, go on!" He looks like if I waited for a second longer, he would tear the box open for me.

"OK! Jeez." I pretend to look nonchalant, but my curiosity is palpable. I open the box and in there I find a...

Folding umbrella.

I can't help but laugh. It's a nice gift but I don't understand why Tom is being so excited.

"Why are you laughing? It's not a funny gift! It's a windproof umbrella!" He grabs it from the box and despite the superstition, opens it indoors to demonstrate how great it is. He's so enthusiastic that you'd think he's selling these stuff, and that isn't helping me stop my giggling.

"Fine, fine! Just test it out at the next storm. You'll see." He closes the umbrella and casually drops it on the table, "By the way, there's still something underneath." He points at the opened box with his chin.

"Oh?" I lift an eyebrow at him, wondering why he's prepared so many sudden gifts for me today...can it be another one of his pranks? Hesitantly, my fingers peel open the wrinkled tissue papers, and now I see why the box needs to be so big - there lays a beautiful, black Burberry raincoat. I gasp, never expected I would ever own a Burberry coat. But then instantly I return my attention back to Tom, "Are you crazy?"

He smirks, "Crazy for ya."

"No, Tom!" I protest. "This is too much. I cannot accept this." I don't even dare to touch the coat, worried that I might dirty it and make it unreturnable.

"Of course you can." He pulls the coat out from the box, and drape it over my shoulders. "It fits you perfectly!" He leans back a bit to look at me for a second, before snatching the hood and throws it over my head.

"Ugh." I groan. I can't see him from under the hood but I can surely hear his guffaws. And I thought he could actually stay sweet. "Tom!"

He gives me a big smooch on the crown of my head, or more precisely, the hood of the new coat. "Keep it. Keep them both. I don't want you to be soaking wet again from the rain."

I throw my hand over my shoulder to pull the coat onto my lap, "It's fine, it's just a little rain -"

He's already on his way back to the dining room, where he usually does all his reading at, but he stops to spin around when he hears me. "Come on, darling, I wouldn't want you to meet another handsome lad like me just because your umbrella breaks again, would I?". He winks with a cheeky grin, before resuming his way to the big, wooden table, "Besides, you're always dreaming about other men these days."

"Wha -" my mouth hangs open. "Don't be silly! What other men?"

"How am I supposed to know? Some guy who visits you in your dream," he raises his voice a bit so that I can hear him from a distance.

I don't even know what he's talking about. I shrug and examine my gifts more closely.

"Just don't go away with him, darling!" He shouts again, as an afterthought.

I turn my head to aim my voice at where he is, "You're crazy. But thank you for your presents!"

"Welcome!"

I smile, feeling all warm and fuzzy inside because I feel lucky to have such an awesome boyfriend: not only does he remember my umbrella has just broken, he also remembers how we first met and it obviously holds a special place in his heart. Sometimes I wonder if he's that type of people who remember every single thing...why else would he bother to care about what, or who I've dreamed of? To be honest, I don't even recall dreaming about some guy until he mentioned it.