Chapter 1 - The Accident

The house was filled with giggles from a lovely cute seven-year-old girl. Her brother, twenty-two-year-old Louis, was playing with her, making her fly across the modest house whilst their mother smiled warmly at them as she kept ironing clothes. They were a small family, their father had left years ago, when sweet Emily was born, leaving them struggling to make ends meet. They weren’t a complete family, but they were a happy one. Louis had left high school to start working and help his mother, juggling between his job and his own social life. Despite that all the money he made was to his family, he didn’t complain. He loved his mother and little sister with all his heart and he would do anything to help them to have a decent life. His mother did the laundry and ironing for other families in the city whilst she still took care of the house and Emily. Louis had to become the man of the house at fifteen and he was okay with that, he didn’t even hate his father that much anymore. They were happy, they didn’t have enough money, but they had each other.

“Put me down!” Emily said still giggling.

“Oh, you don’t want to fly like the little angel you are?” Louis asked, still holding her high and spinning around with her. “I thought you wanted to fly.”

“I’m getting dizzy!” She laughed and so did Louis before putting her down and giving her a big hug.

“Okay, the flying lessons are over but you need to do your homework,” he told her holding his weight on his knee and messing with her short brown hair. Emily didn’t want to have long hair like her mother, she wanted her hair just like Louis, so every time Helena, their mother, cut his hair, she had to cut Emily’s, as well. Louis was the light in Emily’s eyes, and Emily was the light in Louis’ eyes.

“But homework is so boring! You don’t do homework,” she pouted and he laughed.

“That’s because I work now, which reminds me… I gotta go. Be a good girl,” he instructed leaning in to kiss Emily’s forehead.

“Be home early!” Emily asked him and he smiled only, but he didn’t promise anything.

Louis had a job at a diner and he worked until late, but after that he didn’t go back to home, he had other plans.

He rose to his feet and said goodbye to his mother, who begged him to be careful. She knew the plans he had after his shift was over, but she didn’t say anything out loud so Emily wouldn’t hear them.

“I’ll be fine, Mum. Don’t worry,” he promised with a big smile before kissing her cheek and leaving the house, grabbing the keys to his bike and his denim jacket. The helmet was already on his bike so he just hopped on and drove to the diner, ready to work for the whole day.

+ + + + +

His shift was finally over and he was exhausted, but he still had to go somewhere else, where all his mates were waiting for him. None of those lads knew him from high school, they were just people he met one night when went he went out running, overwhelmed for all the responsibilities he had, desperate because he saw his mother crying, heartbroken because his little sister didn’t have a father anymore. He had gone out, running, screaming under the rain when a gang of bikers found him. That night he thought he was going to die, that they were going to kill him or something, but incredibly, they helped him, and welcomed him in their gang.

He learnt so much with them about bikes and they helped him to get his and to repair it until it was great. They taught him to ride one and they took Louis to night races where he could make a little bit of extra money. They were Louis’ second family.