Fighting Salamander

CHAPTER FIVE 

*two days after Taki hatched*

I was standing in front of the request board when Natsu came over "oi Mezu your out of the hospital now so fight me" he said enthusiastically "fine" I sighed, I knew if I didn't agree to it he'd keep pestering me till I did, I'd seen him do it to other people "meet you out in front of the guild tomorrow at 1:00pm" I said "YES" he said, doing a sort of victory dance around the room.

the next day we met outside the guild at the time I'd set, so did everyone else, it seemed like the whole guild had come to watch us "as master of this guild I will be judging this match" the master said "the rules are, no killing, you will fight inside a ring for the safety of onlookers, and please try to keep the destruction to a minimum" he finished "ready, steady, FIGHT" he said and the fighting commenced, at first we circled each other, keeping a weary eye out, waiting for the other to make a move, it ended up being Natsu who struck first, he lunged, fire covering his hand, I took the blow to see how well he hit, then wished I hadn't, he was pretty good.

I flew backwards,did a flip in mid air and landed on my feet, skidding backwards on the remaining momentum of the strike "not bad" I confessed "but now it's my turn" I ran at him full tilt, he hadn't expected me to recover so quickly, I could see it in his eyes as I punched him in the gut, he flew backwards hitting the magical barrier that had been erected to contain our fight, taking advantage of his momentary laps of concentration I requiped in to a flexible armour, I mean, who fights in a dress, A. you could completely ruin a perfectly good dress and B. their incredibly hard to fight in, anyway back to the fight, Natsu got up, grinning "this is gonna be good" he said.

Erza' s POV

"Wow" I thought as I watched the fight taking place before me, I'd never seen anyone trading blow for blow with Natsu, well besides me and Gildarts anyway, and Mezu had yet to take any damage, then things got serious, Natsu cocked his head back and yelled "ROAR OF THE FIRE DRAGON" and flames roared from his mouth, heading strait for Mezu, but they never made contact "ROAR OF THE WATER DRAGON" she yelled and water spewed from her mouth intercepting the flame, steam rose and when it cleared both sides were still standing "IRON FIST OF THE FIRE DRAGON" Natsu yelled lunging at Mezu "IRON FIST OF THE WATER DRAGON" she yelled in response, again the two dragon slayers collided and again both were still standing.

"time to step things up a little" Natsu said "SECRET FIRE DRAGON ART, FLAME LOTUS" he yelled, fire flew every where Mezu's eyes widened a fraction, then she crouched "WATER DRAGON SHIELD" a wall of water surged forward, stopping the flame before it could reach her "so we're getting serious now"she said, grinning "ok then, SECRET WATER DRAGON ART, WATER LILY" she yelled, wave after wave of water rolled out from where she stood until the whole barrier was brimming, Natsu was suspended in the water, a surprised expression on his face, then an under water fight began in which Mezu had the advantage, of they swam back and forth, trading blows, she could move through the water faster than Natsu, not to mention he was running out of air.

right when he'd reached his limit, Mezu undid whatever it was she had done and the water disappeared, Natsu stood for a moment, hand on knees, breathing deeply, Mezu stood waiting for him to recover before they resumed, again and again, blows went back and forth so quickly that I couldn't keep up, then it happened, Mezu lashed out and hit Natsu on the temple and he was out cold "STOP" the master said, though it wasn't really necessary, Mezu was breathing heavily and Natsu was unconscious "and the winner is, MEZU DRAGAMMAE" he said, clapping.

slowly more clapping, then people were cheering and laughing I heard one guy say "I thought Natsu was unbeatable, but now..." I smiled and walked over to Mezu, who now sat on the ground, looking tired "good job" I said patting her on the back, she flinched "oh I'm sorry" I said, uncertain of what I'd done "no, no, it's ok I was just lost in thought" she said reassuringly "you'd better get him to the infirmary" she said, gesturing at Natsu "ya, I guess" I said, I picked him up and slung him over my shoulder like a sack of flour "again, good job" I said, she grimaced "thanks" she said, though it didn't sound sincere, I wonder what's wrong, I thought as I walked away.

Mezu's POV

"that was terrible" I thought as I punched the tree again "I can't believe I had to use Water Lily on him" I punched the tree again "I have to practice more, my stamina has gone down" I thought, well punching a tree gave me a curtain satisfaction, it wasn't getting me anywhere so I walked around the woods looking for a good spot to practice, and found the perfect spot, it was a small gorge with a creak running through is, in it I could be out of sight and use the boulders as targets, I slid down the side and landed at the bottom, "this is nice" I thought "now time to try it out" I practiced down in the creak bed until sunset, then I headed back, when I got back I found Natsu, awake and grumpy, when he saw me he frowned and walked over "where have you been" he said angrily "out" I replied flatly, not wanting to anger him more than I already had "sorry for knocking you unconscious" I apologised, his mouth twitched then he broke out into a grin.

"why are you apologizing, that was awesome, fight me again some time" he said, surprised by his sudden mood change I smiled back "sure" I said "sweet, and next time I'll beat you" he said walking away "ya right, we'll see about that" I yelled after him "hey Mezu, where were you all day" Taki said as she flew over to me, Carla had been giving her flying lessons "hey Taki, I've been out training, how are you flying lessons going" I asked "there fun, Carla is nice" she said, smiling, I smiled back "come on, let's go home, it's late" I said "ok" she said and landed on my shoulder "but you'll have to carry me back cause I'm exhausted" she joked "fine, if I have to" I said, sighing like it was a hard task, she laughed, and we walked home together.

TO BE CONTINUED