Intertwined Fate

It was past 11:15PM when it started drizzling outside causing the pane to moist where Leni was sitting next to. They agreed to do a stopover when the driver got alarmed of the sound that he heard coming from the engine. Mar agreed. He also thought that it would be wise to have their legs stretched since they have been traveling for more than 3 hours already. Leni decided to head to Starbucks while they wait for their car to be fixed.

Leni clutched her mug with both of her hands trying to absorb its warmth. She yawned and thought of her daughters. They had already said their good night on their whatsapp groupchat. She was glad that she can rely on her daughters, and felt an incredible gratitude to Jesse.

Jesse, she thought. She felt a bitter sweet emotion enveloping her when the name of her husband crossed her mind. She was about to reminisce when she noticed from her peripheral that Mar entered the coffeeshop.

Mar stood inside taking a quick sweep looking for a familiar face when he saw Leni on the corner. He acknowledge her with a slight nod, and approached her table.

"Sec, in order na kita ng latte." Leni said as Mar took the seat opposite hers. When he sat and he smiled, Leni quickly felt an uncomfortable air hovering above them. For some reason, in spite of how long they have known each other there are times that she would find herself being nervous around him. She blamed on the fact that he is one of the most respected person in the country. Plus, Jesse regards him with such respect. Maybe, she thought, she's nervous because she really just doesn't want to appear less than what Mar was expecting from her.

The round table suddenly feel small for the two of them. Their knees almost touching. The barista arrived giving them a momentary of reprieve, "Latte?" he announced and placed it in the middle of the table. Mar gave a small smile towards the barista, and took the cup. Leni shifted her focus on the wall behind Mar.

When Mar took a sip and placed the cup back to the table, he looked at her, smiled and said "Buti na lang tumigil tayo, sabi ng driver kung hindi daw baka namatay yung makina sa gitna ng daan."

She gave an audible sigh. "Ilang oras pa kaya bago tayo makarating sa Quezon City?" Mar raised an eyebrow and said "Roughly 2 to 3 hours." Leni turned her head to look at their van outside giving Mar a good view of her neck. He reached for his cup again and had another sip with his hand slightly shaking.

"Ano kaya ... um ... alam mo yung two truths and one lie?" He stuttered. God, he's turning into an idiot.

Leni looked back at him, blinked, and asked a curious "Ano yun?". Mar smiled, well at least, he could find something to occupy their time.

"Kailangan mo magsabi ng dalawang katotohanan tapos isang bogus statement. Then, I have one attempt to identify kung alin doon yung 'di totoo. If I fail at my attempt, yun na yun. You don't have to tell me which one is the lie." Mar said smiling.

Leni was glad that Mar was able to think quickly of something to do before they succumb to more awkward silence. She was dying to get back on the road. She started feeling uncomfortable sharing the table with him because of the small space that's separating them. It's too short for her nerves.

"Ah, that's good one." She said smiling. "Sige, sige. Sino mauuna?" she asked excitedly.

Mar was grinning on her infectious happiness, "Mauna ka na." he encouraged.

"Okay. I love Math, I love Sodoku, and I love junk foods." She said grinning at him.

Mar started chuckling. Leni thought that in spite of how uncomfortable she is when he's around, they were able to relax comfortably whenever they indulge to do something they share in common or talk about casual topic. They both enjoy mundane icebreakers, corny jokes, and light conversations. She prefers this instead of silence because during those quiet time makes her nervous the most.