The Rescue

Prologue

 Adam's POV

The sky was the perfect shade of blue, but nothing could compare to the blueness of what I was feeling right now. I passed by dozens of houses. I could only wish I was getting nearer to her house. But no, I was still a few miles away. Another stop light, another minute passed. In the moments I wasn’t at her side, I couldn’t fathom what was happening to Christina. I kept on praying. Praying that she’s safe. As the stop light turned to green, I pressed on the gas pedal harder this time. I was so desperate to get there as soon as possible that I almost surpassed the limit. However, I couldn’t get caught or else it would take me longer to get to her. So, I drove slower as I spotted a police officer on the other side of the road. 

As I entered Christina’s village, this time, I managed to accelerate my speed. I was getting nearer. “Don’t worry Christina, I’ll save you,” I said as if she would hear me. One more turn and I would already be on her street. Just then I heard a gunshot. It clearly took me by surprise. I wasn’t sure where it came from but it only made me grittier to get to Christina. The pedestrians and occasional passerby began seeking the shelter of their homes whilst screaming. And then another shot. The sound of it was deafening; my ears were on the verge of bleeding. I was driving faster and faster, and then, I saw a figure running out into the middle of the road. I pressed the brake hastily and I heard the tires screech from the sudden friction they made on the ground. When I finally focused my eyes on the lady, I realized it was Christina. I dashed out of the car but before I get to her, another shot was fired. This time, I couldn’t register what I saw. Blood surfaced on Christina’s shoulder. Adrenaline came rushing over me. I helped her up and got her inside of the car. As I closed the door next to her, I heard police car sirens nearing us. I hoped they would catch Matt.

I drove as fast as I could while Christina relentlessly groaned from the indescribable pain. I couldn’t bear seeing her like this. I didn’t care about the limits anymore. The road ahead of me became blurry as tears started to form in my eyes. Had I not came on time, I wouldn’t be able to save Christina or worse, Matt could’ve killed her. I didn’t know what I would do if it happened. But now, what’s important was that she was finally free from Matt’s evil possession. I just hoped everything would be alright soon.

As we got on the hospital, the nurse had told me to let go. But, in times like this, I felt like if I were to let go of her hand, I wouldn’t be able to grasp it again. But I must stay strong. She’d be safe, I prayed. She’d be safe.

~*~