Chapter 31

Chapter 31

Harry's POV

Anger boils inside of me as she lifted her shirt to show me the bruises that the asshole left on her skin. It was devastating to see the flash of pain in her eyes, to hear her whisper that it hurts and I can't do anything to stop it.

This is only one of many of our unsolved issues at the moment. She asked me to let it go, but that's the last thing I plan on doing. Not to mention, that where we currently stand with our relationship is undefined and messy. I clearly told her that unless she truly didn't want me around, I wasn't going anywhere, and considering the kiss she gave me, I'm thinking I can stay. That doesn't clear anything up between us though.

I'd rather not stress over this though, all I know is that in this moment my arms are wrapped tightly around her waist, my head lays gently upon her stomach and this will be the most peaceful rest I've had in days.

Karleigh's POV

Loud banging is coming from outside my bedroom door, and I think someone is knocking on the front door. I glance down and Harry's head is laying in my lap while I'm slouched over. The front door clicks open and I can hear muffled talking coming from the living room.

My bedroom door swings open and I jump as my cousin Travis stomps into my bedroom, Aunt Jocelyn hot on his heels. "Travis, you need to go!" Aunt Jocelyn's voice is firm but Travis ignores her and stares at Harry and I in my bed.

Harry begins to shift around on my lap, and gradually his eyes peel open. I glance down at him, then back up to Travis. When Harry's eyes land on Travis he tenses and leans up from the mattress.

"What the hell are you doing here?" Harry growls, in a tone I've never heard before.

Travis glares at Harry, then directs his gaze to me, his eyes softening. He takes a few steps closer to my bed and reaches his hand out to me, but I flinch away.

"C'mon, don't be like that Karleigh..." He begs, but I don't look at him, my eyes stay focused on Aunt Jocelyn.

"Karleigh, I shouldn't have left you alone in the kitchen. I'm sorry, this is all my fault. I knew Todd's history with...violence. Fuck. Karleigh, please. He shouldn't have come." Travis attempts to explain but I remain silent.

"You need to go. Now." Harry's voice is deep and husky.

I'm under the impression that Harry knows that I was at Travis's house when Todd tried to force himself on me. Although, I don't remember telling him that... Aunt Jocelyn probably told him.

"Jesus, Harry! For fuck sake, shut up! Don't you have your own fucking problems?" Travis shouts. "Travis. Harry. Enough." I interrupt, looking back and forth between the two of them. Neither of them look at me, they continue shooting daggers at each other with their eyes.

Do they know each other? They didn't act like it, that time we all ran into each other at the gas station. His own problems? What does that even mean?

"Travis, go." I murmur, my brain flooding with emotions. He looks at me and frowns.

"Karleigh," Travis begs and steps closer to the bed, again.

Harry stands up from the bed, and I do the same. Harry and Travis are standing chest to chest, and I swear I can feel my blood pressure rising. Aunt Jocelyn is standing in the doorway, and I think she may be having a heart attack.

I forcefully shove my way between Harry and Travis, pushing Travis back a few steps. I lay one on my hands on Harry's chest, in hopes to calm him down some.

"Karleigh, I saw." Travis's voice is low, and I look up at him and meet his eyes. "I saw what he was doing." He clarifies.

From beneath my touch, I can feel Harry's breathing increase.

"Is there something you want to know, or are you just here to give a shitty apology?" My voice is wavering and I'm struggling to contain my emotions.

He opens his mouth to speak, but quickly closes it again.

"Because if you just wanted to apologize, you should've called." I say harshly, and I see Travis flinch at my words.

"Didn't Aunt Jocelyn tell you I don't want visitors?" My words are egging him on, but he just seems more torn.

An expression crosses his face that I can't read. "Oh but he can be here right?" Travis say, stabbing a finger in Harry's direction.

"Actually yes, he can be here, because unlike you he's actually making me feel better." I growl at his audacity.

"Are you hurt?" His finally asks.

In disbelief I begin to sarcastically laugh. I yank up the end of my shirt, and show him the deep purple colored bruises along my hip. As Travis's eyes land on my bruises horror crosses his features, and I glare at him.

"Karleigh, I--" he starts.

"You can go now." I snap, and he looks hurt when his eyes meet mine.

"You saw my fucking bruises, now get the fuck out Travis!" I nearly scream, and he begins taking slow steps towards my bedroom door.

"I'm glad to know that your fucking wanna-be frat parties are more important than the moments I need you." I call to him, as he's almost out of sight. Aunt Jocelyn leaves the room as well, and I can tell she's crying.

I turn around and stare at Harry, he looks pissed but his eyes soften slightly as he stares into mine.

Neither of us say anything, but Harry leans down and presses his mouth against mine. A shiver runs through me as his fingers trace down my spine. His tongue moving in sync with mine as I tangle my fingers in his hair. Harry sits down on the edge of the bed, and I climb into his lap.

We break apart for a brief second, to catch a breath. Just before our lips meet again, Harry whispers my name giving me goosebumps.