1 - Special Delivery

“It’s over.”

               His words struck me like a lightning bolt. To be honest, my heart wasn’t breaking. I am actually happy that this relationship is over. What’s hurt was my ego. How dare he break up with me when, in the first place, I was the one who answered ‘yes’? Shouldn’t I be the one saying ‘no’ this time?

               I stood up with my head high and smiled at him, “No, it’s not over for me. It’s over for you.” I snapped and walked away.

               That’s how my first relationship ended and right after that, none followed. It just seems hard to find someone who’s not a jerk. After my first break up, whenever I see a handsome guy or a popular jock, all I can say is…

               “Asshole? That again, Elixa?” Renee groaned as we walked through the corridor, heading for class.

               “You can’t blame me, Renee. Whenever I see a guy, I just feel like…” I sighed and securely hoisted my backpack over my shoulder.

               “You’ll be hurt again?” She finished and shook her head.

               Just when we entered the classroom, the bell rang. I took my seat which is in the middle of the room and Renee took hers which is in the front row. After a minute, our professor came in and class started.

               Jeric was my first boyfriend. At the age of seventeen, I am very cautious of who to date and I want it to be something memorable. Too much for this memory, by the way. So I fell for Jeric who, like any other jocks; popular, handsome, and hot, is just a player. I can’t believe I fell under his spell. I know that it’s too good to be true. I’m not a nerd or a geek or a horrendous girl or anything. I’m just me. A simple girl who falls for any guy. Unfortunately, my first love story was a disaster and lasted for only a month.

               Now, I am brooding and deeply hurt by this event of my life. It’s my first and it only lasted for three weeks. How stupid can that be? Maybe it’s acceptable if it’s a month and a day, but no. It has to be exactly a month. Ugh.

               “Elixandra Clarice Quimby.”

               I looked up and saw my teacher looking at me. He has this wide grin on his face. Okay, what now?

               “Yes, sir?” I awkwardly stood up, feeling the gazes of my classmates. I’m not really good at speaking in a large crowd and I prefer to be in a group of two’s or three’s only. I’m socially awkward so that seals the deal between Jeric and me. He’s a jock; he’s more into partying and stuff. I’m me; I’m more into stay-at-home-and-watch-tv and ignore-the-phone-when-ringing.

               “Principal Jester would like to speak to you,” he gestured his head at the door where a bald, pudgy man stood with a kind smile on his face.

               I nodded and grabbed my bag, following Principal Jester to his office.

               “I’m so sorry to call you in such short notice, Ms. Quimby.” said Principal Jester.

               “Just call me Elixandra, sir. And it’s all right, don’t mind it.” I awkwardly smiled and followed him as he turned right.

               An awkward silence fell between us. I hate talking to strangers. Yes. Even the principal is a stranger to me. I consider someone as stranger when I can’t talk comfortably with them. In my case, the only non-stranger is Renee and perhaps my younger sister, Candace.