Chapter 2

Mason was stood in a daze as he did nothing but look at the girl, he undoubtably had feelings for, it felt more like a dream- like it wasn't possible for her to be standing before him. She had watched him begin to walk towards her and slowly began to raise his hand, she had noticed he was a little nervous and shaky, but it stopped once he had placed it against her jawline. Emily watched his breathing hitch and tears form in his ocean blue eyes. "You're really here?" He asked as a soft smile formed on his lips, and in response she had nodded a little before feeling his arms wrap around her curved waist, pulling her into an embrace. It took her a moment to really process what he was doing, before she had lifted her arms and moved them to around his waist. She could feel the warmth from his body seep through her clothes, like the sun rays on a summer day. Emily could feel herself growing attached to the moment they both were sharing; her grip had turned a little tighter as the seconds passed, although she was the first to pull away from him. She could feel herself a little unsure of how to process the moment and the emotions she could feel, she turned her gaze to him and had come to realise she would one day have to tell him the truth.

She had wondered for a moment on how he would react, she had questioned every scenario that played throughout her thoughts. Would he turn away from this restless wonderer? "What are you doing here?" The sound of his question brought Emily out of her slight daze, she had smiled a little and began to speak. "I moved here" she admitted. A frown had cross Mason's features as he heard her words and shook his head a little in response. "Is that why the letters stopped?"

Emily had begun to walk away from him and towards one of the few sets of tables, she had pulled out on of the brown chairs and sat herself down. She turned her attention towards the right and watched Mason join her as she said, "Yes" he had looked a little hurt that she didn't think to tell him or at least try to send word his way. "Why didn't you tell me?" He questioned and frowned as he sat back in his chair. "Because thing's got complicated" She admitted and sighed.

"Like what? Because you'd never stop talking to me without a damn good reason" Mason spoke with the sound of annoyance dripping of off his every word, Emily knew that he would be a little annoyed and angry at her but he would never understand. "Does it really matter?" She asked and tilted her head a little to the right, he had caught her gaze and shook his head in disappointment. "Tell me, the truth" Emily had turned quiet and sat back in her chair as she kept her gaze on him. "You'd never understand love" She told him but had come to see the look of disbelief that traced across his face, did she really not trust him the way she claimed to? "Trust doesn't come with a refill system Emily, once it's gone you won't get it back, and if you do it will never be the same so, I suggest you tell me the truth" He said and sighed. Emily had shortly nodded her head in response to his words, she knew there was no possible way of winning this. It was either tell him what he wanted to hear, or lose him. "I've been on the run," She began and glanced up at him with a little bit of hope that this would be enough, "for the last four years"

"What?" He questioned in bewilderment as he looked at the girl sitting opposite him, she had believed he knew the good parts about her, the parts she only wanted him to know. She thought she could keep her childhood and young adult life hidden from him, and the world. She didn't say much in return and just let him wonder for a little longer, she had seemed to try and find a loophole in order to distract him from the conversation. "How is that possible?" He questioned but it was more towards himself, it seemed to frustrate and confuse him evermore than before. "I would have known..." He added and trailed off before his gaze snapped back towards Emily, she had shaken her head before beginning to speak up. "No one knew where I was" He had scoffed and grew agitated with her words in her excuses. "You were meant to be my everything" He admitted in order to hurt her in the ways he felt, but all she did was look up at him for a moment with little to no emotion showing. "and you were mine" She didn't move, not one bit and just looked at him for a split second, she wasn't built to run from situations like this, it was now against her nature. He breathing had hitched as at first, he couldn't believe her words. "That's the one bit of truth I can really believe"

Growing up as a child as one of the four, there was only ever two rules; Rule number one, was to never love, to never care for someone completely and truly. They believed love was a weakness, a distraction, something that was a losing game. Rule number two was to always comply with no excuse, no other reason to disobey your orders. I could hear his heartbeat and see how his breathing had turned steady; I could notice every little detail about him, from the way he looked at me to the way he would fidget when he grew concerned or agitated. It was my job to find someone's weakness and, in this case, I was that weakness, but loving someone was still a losing game.

"Where are you staying?" I had looked at him for a moment unsure if I should even stay sat opposite him, I didn't want to involve him in this life anymore then he already was. "This isn't your fight love" I told him and truth be told, I was afraid of all that I am. "It became my fight the day you wrote back to me" His emotions had settled and he had looked at me with some sort of faith, that it would all be alright, but when the day comes- when they find us, it'll be the greatest fight we have ever had to face. "It'll never work love" I said in referral to the one thing I wasn't capable of. "I'll be the judge of that" I had smiled slightly and looked over at him and said, "Strongheaded as always" as he had laughed at my words and smiled softly. "Stay with me Emily?" His confidence was astounding and it led to a small smile forming on my lips, but I had shaken my head a little, "I can't" I told him and this time, it wasn't because I didn't want him involved.

"I can keep you safe from whatever you're running from" Some part of me wanted to believe him but they would catch him as easily as catching a jackrabbit. "You can't save me" He had this heart of gold made of hope and faith, and in all honesty, it was the only thing that gave me the slightest bit of comfort in the years of running. It had been a year and a half since we arrived in New Orleans, this was our longest stay in one city and it was because we were careful in our outings. We didn't leave any traces behind and that's how I had been keeping Nova safe. She wouldn't be able to survive on her own and I wasn't about to change that, it felt like I could finally breathe and take in the freedom we had, but I could still hear it in the back of my mind, the voices. I prayed that one day they would never get the better of me. "I can try"

"Do not ask me to trust you Mason" I told him in order to knock the down the faith that he had in me; I didn't want it. If he saw what I was capable of and felt the pain I could inflict; he wouldn't feel the same way he does. He would become more of a weakness of mine, more than he already was. I could see the end of us if he had wrapped himself in my life and world, it would only lead to one possible outcome and I couldn't allow that to happen. Not again. I couldn't completely decide what was right or wrong, but as I looked up at him, I knew that I needed to keep him safe on my own terms. "That's not what you were saying four years ago" He said and joked as we had both began to stand and close the gap between us, but he was the first to step away as a knock came upon the glass window, his gaze shifted to behind and as I followed it, I could see a man standing in clear view.