Chapter 9: Tensions

"Are you sure that you can handle being alone for a few days?" Steve looked down at Ophelia's form standing in front of him, waiting for an answer.

"Of course. No one knows that we're here except for the higher ups in SHIELD, right?"

He furrowed his eyebrows for a moment, rubbing the back of his neck. "I think so. I don't recall telling anyone else from the team where I was staying, which is good. So yeah, I guess we're good."

She winked at him, "I guess that's... good."

He ruffled her hair gently, making sure that his strength wouldn't hurt her. "It is good you raskal."

"No one calls people raskals anymore, Steve." She chuckled, dodging her head out of his reach. "Plus, you know you love me."

"Sure do." He said, smiling down at her. She returned a bright smile back before leaning into him, hugging him tightly.

"You come back all in one piece, allright?"

"Always."

"And you're gonna be safe? No funny buisness?"

"Don't worry, I'm only funny for you guys."

"Of course you are." She replied, squeezing her brotherly figure a bit tighter before releasing him altogether.

He turned and wrapped his hand around the doorknob, ready to go as he had already said his goodbyes to Bucky. "I'll be back soon." And with that, he was gone.

***

The first few days were a breeze, Bucky and Ophelia making easy talk about history and modern day culture.

"So people post their entire lives online?"

"Well, I guess if you look at it that way, yes. But the internet is a lot less scary than how it's advertized."

"I don't trust it."

"That's okay, you don't have to."

"I like this Michael guy. He's a bit flashy though. I mean who only wears a single glove?"

"Wore, Buck. The guy died more than five years ago."

"Aw, really?"

"Yeah, it was sad. They made a movie and everything about his life though. It's really interesting to see how he was raised- his father was horrible."

"That's too bad, his music was really good."

"Wait!" Ophelia exclaimed, jumping up from her seat on the couch, "have I shown you the Thriller music video yet?"

"This guy seems like a total asshole."

"Yeah, I know right?"

"And you said he's running for president?"

"Yeah, it's really scary because he's winning."

"I don't believe that."

"Trust me, it's real. Sadly."

"That's scary- and I know scary."

"Are you saying that Steve willingly went into that?" Bucky said, looking closer at the footage of the Battle of New York.

"Well, he had to take a bit of a push, but yeah, he did."

"What the fuck is wrong with that punk?!"

"Well, I mean, come on. When would he ever run away from a fight?"

Bucky stayed silent for a moment. "But still, did you see how many times he got hit?"