Chapter 23 ― Viva Las Vegas

***3 DAYS TILL THE DAY OF THE DOCTOR***

Hey hey! Hope you enjoy ^^

_________________________________

CHAPTER 23

VIVA LAS VEGAS

I didn’t really know how much time had passed since the Doctor maybe died, but it felt like a year. Alone and stranded in America, I did what I did best with the Doctor – travel and find aliens. I knew if the Doctor was still alive, I’d eventually get his attention if I was loud enough.

Ironically, a good place to find aliens is Nevada. I ended up in Las Vegas after hitchhiking my way to anywhere that wasn’t Lake Silencio. For a while, I lived on the streets, eating with the little American money Amy gave me before we left England. I was starting to run out when I scavenged a weird looking gadget that was half buried behind some old abandoned house. About the size of a tissue box, if you put sand or water of something in a little capsule on one end and scanned a $5 bill, another $5 bill would come out the other end. I didn’t figure it out right away, the instructions on the side weren’t very clear despite having spent time in the TARDIS. Then I was able to multiply money until I had enough to eat and stay at a modest hotel. During my time there, I also got my hands on a few other alien artefacts – mostly weapons that I did not intend to use, but kept one on me at all times – but sadly, no aliens for the first two months. I actually only came in contact with aliens once in Las Vegas.

It was one of the hottest days of June. Why do people even live here, the weather was suffocating. I left the internet café I went to search the internet for help when I saw a silver ball falling from the sky out of town.

So I ran. As hard as it was in the heat, I went through parking lots and backyards as fast as I could. I don’t know how long I ran, but enough so that my lungs were on fire and I was completely covered in sweat. At a few meters away from the crater created by the impact of the silver ball, I stopped to catch my breath and take out a gun I found in an abandoned alien hid out. I approached it the crater slowly and looked down only to find a perfect silver ball the size of a couch cushion giving me my refection. I carefully went down the little slop of the crater to get a closer look. When I was a few centimeters away, a hole appeared at the top. For a second, it looked hallow until a bunch of yellow blobs started coming out, so I mad my back away.

As tall as maybe 10 centimeters, only one eyes of a very light blue colour in the middle of the face, a mouth like a cat’s and a completely yellowish transparent body, these five creatures were, for lack of a better word, cute.

“What are you?” I asked them as all their eyes were on me.

No response, there just stared at me.

“My name is Ariella Jacobs, and you all?” I said, trying for a nicer approach. Still no answer.

I walked up closer and squatted down to their height.

“What planet are you from?”

“Gruunre,” they finally answered in a harmonious hum.

“Do you come in peace?” I asked, happy to finally get something out of them.

“Yes,” they hummed all together again.

“What brings you to Earth then?”

“Sand.”

“Why do you need sand?” I frowned.

“To reproduce,” I voice from behind me answered.

I spun around to find a tall man with dark hair and eyes surrounded by four others, all wearing suits and pointing guns on me. I lifted my hands up immediately.

“What do you want?” I asked. “I did nothing, but talk to some aliens.”

“That gun in your hands in extraterrestrial. We’re going to have to take it,” the guy in the middle spoke again in some official voice.

“I found it, it’s mine,” I replied, getting angry. “Who are you to just show up here and take my things?”

“We are Torchwood Nevada, Miss. What we decide goes.”

“Torchwood?” I asked, suddenly happy to see these men.

“Yes, Miss. Now, I’m going to ask you to hand over that illegal weapon.”

“At one condition, you take me back to your base and you contact Torchwood Cardiff for me.”

The man looked over at his friends, looking confused. How could some random young woman in her twenties in the middle of nowhere know about Torchwood? It was quite amusing.

“Miss, the placement of Torchwood facilities is classified, how you got that information?” he asked.

“That’s classified,” I replied, liking the advantage. “Now, I’d appreciate if you told your guys here to lower their guns and get Captain Jack Harkness on the phone for me, please.”

“AJ?” an uncertain voice responded on the other end of the phone line.

“Yeah, it’s me. Hey, Jack, how are you?”

“Good! I didn’t think I’d be hearing from you again. Last time I saw you was a month ago… I just want to say I’m sorry for what happened… Really, I’m a jerk.”

“Doesn’t even matter anymore, went through time a little, it’s been a lot more than a month ago for me. I’m over it, really,” I assured him. Sure cheating on me wasn’t ok, but I didn’t really see the point in staying mad forever.

“So why are you calling me from Torchwood Nevada? I have to say, I’m a little confused,” he said.

“Can you please stop staring at me like I’m going to try to run away or something?” I covered the phone as I glared at the man in the back suit on the other side of the white sterile room who had his eyes glued on me. “Long story, believe me,” I answered Jack’s question.

“I’ve got time,” he answered and I could hear the grin in his voice.

“Starting from after I left?”

“Yeah, why not.”

“Ok, well, I went to find my parents, Amy and Rory. I lived with them for a while until I found the Doctor again. Long story short, I had to go to America, because he was going to die and I told him I’d be there. But there some very complicating things went down and something that was supposed to happen happened and something that was supposed to happen didn’t happen and I now have two realities in my head, two scenarios of how that day went down. After all that, I left Amy and Rory to be alone, then they disappeared and I know they left with the Doctor, but that leaves me stranded in America. I could buy a plane ticket, but Amy has my fake passport, because technically, I’m still missing.”

“Yeah, that is a long story… So the Doctor survived?” He asked.

“I don’t know.”

“What? How could you not know, you were there, right?”

“Yes, but two realities! In one, he didn’t die, but he did in the other and maybe he survived the other, but I’m not sure. Like I said, it’s very complicated.”

“And if he is still alive?”

“Then I want to find him and I’m trying to get into the alien stuff as much as possible to get his attention.”

“And you really think that if you do get his attention, he’ll come to you?” Jack said, sounded a little unconvinced.

“Well, he better come to me, because if he is still alive, he’s my husband,” I informed him.

“Oh, well… Congratulations then,” he responded, not very sure.

“Yeah, well, it’s complicated. So will you arrange to have me flown to the UK or not?”

“Yeah, I’ll get right on it,” he assured me. “See you soon then, AJ,” and he hung up.

I didn’t know why, but I thought he sounded a little odd when I told him the Doctor and I were married, but I shrugged it away, I was going to be home soon enough.