Part 4

Reece walked in silence beside Clyde. It was early morning around eight-thirty. The sun was rising and the heat was already blazing. She could feel he wanted to talk but he didn't know how to start.

"So how are feeling?"

"Um...good I guess."

Pause. "The priest said it is good to talk about how you feel."

He shrugged. "I don't feel anything."

"That is not true. She was still your mom."

"She tried to kill herself." He sadly mumbled.

"But God didn't allow that to happen. She had time to reconcile." She wanted to hug him and tell him everything was going to be okay, and truly mean it.

"I want things," he says changing the subject.

"Things like what?"

There was a long pause as he thought of his reply, "A life. A better life,"

She wanted to jump for joy to hear those words from him. She smiled and took hold to his hand. "Clyde, you shall have it if you aim for it."

For the first time since his mom's tragic car accident, she saw a decent smile. His green eyes seemed to spark with a new light. He gripped her hand as if to say thank you.

A few minutes later they enter the jewelry store, "Oh no, why'd you go bringing him in?"

"Just ignore her." Reece whispered. He followed her to the lounge. Scott exited the snack bar wearing a grudge.

"Everyone hates me." He says bluntly plopping onto the sofa.

"Nobody hates you."

"Yes they do hate me. They didn't like my parents so why like me?"

"They just wanted you to go down a different path."

"Well, tell them to get in my shoes and see what road they'd take." He mumbles some things.

"You are better than what they perceive."

"That is why I want my life to get better. I don't want to end up like..." He choked up. She went to sit beside him to rub his back. Still he refuses to cry, though she thought she heard him last night in the bathroom.

"You will be fine, Clyde. Just stay positive." She then had an idea. "Why don't you stay today and keep me company?"

"They wouldn't like it."

"Rose won't but Scott will get over it." She says. "Let me get myself situated and then we can leave out."

For the rest of the morning Reece organized the new boxes of snacks and goodies brought in earlier. Because it is only her and Rose, she knew Rose wouldn't dare touch a box to unpack it. She took her time with Clyde helping. They talked about a lot of things. Scott even came in to enlighten them. The bell above the door rang again. Scott slowly left the room in chuckles.

"I like him."

"Who doesn't like Scott," Reece had to say.

Then little Bradly entered the snack bar. The blonde eleven-year-old was as bright as the sun with an intelligent voice. "Hello, Reece. Hello, Clyde. How are you two today?"

Clyde exchanged an astonished expression with his girlfriend before ruffling in his hair. "We're doing just fine Bradly."

"Aren't you supposed to be in school?"

"Today's a half day and my daddy wanted to see Scott. So I tagged along."

Reece could see through the snack bar entrance Scott leading Doctor James Porter into the lounge. "Why does he have to see Scott?"

"You so nosey Reeces Cup,"

The boy giggled at her nickname. "I don't know, you guys. I overheard him talking to my dad this morning about Mrs. Winters. She's getting worse you know. And the money, wew,"

The intelligence in the boy's voice made the young couple stare at him for a while. Their thoughts capped on both the boy's speech mannerism and Scott's obvious problem.

"I wonder if I can do anything."

"And there goes Reeces Cup to the rescue." Clyde teases. "Always in the mood to help someone,"

"Whatever Clyde,"

"Reece, come here." Mr. Hilton appeared in the doorway. They stood erect as if they all were going to be in trouble for joking around. But the manager was in another world. His hands fidgeted and he barely could keep eye contact. She approached him.

"I need your help. Something very valuable arrived yesterday and I need you to put it up."

"Sure." She followed him to the storage room where the Clinton designs were already open. The stuffing inside the boxes was already about the floor. Confused, Reece followed him to one of the boxes sitting on the table by the wall. Many showcases from big ones to little ones lined the walls. A door sat open on the side leading to the basement with more showcases and items. She stared at the man as he nervously pointed to a wrapped case beside the box.

"Mr. Hilton is it cursed or something?"

"What? No. No. Just- um- put it on a special display."

"Okay..." she said as he literally backed out of the room and disappeared down the hall. Reece went to the Clinton designed case and opened it. Her heart skipped a beat. Her womanly desires were exploding to the point where she didn't hear Clyde enter. He put a hand on her shoulder and she jumped.

"Oh my goodness, that is beautiful- but not as beautiful as you." He quickly says making the girl awkwardly laugh.

Reclosing it she waved for him to leave. "Go no one is allowed back here but employees."

"Well, hurry back. That Bradly boy is irking my nerves." He left on that note. She took one last peek and knew exactly which showcase to put it in.