Chapter 1

Seven years later.

It was mid september. Dark, miserable and cold. The rain pounded at the windows, trailing down them like bitter tears. The storm did not give, blowing angry winds and roaring out thunder. The house, as it had exactly seven years ago, was consumed by silence. A light flickered.

Tom pressed himself against the peeling plasterboard wall, massaging his eyelids with thumb and forefinger. There would be no easy way to say it. How ever he said it, when ever he said it, what he said, none of this would change the fact that it would hurt. But it was the only way. He knew they couldn't live like this forever, ignoring the elephant in the room. 

The years that had passed had taken their toll on him. Every time he looked in the mirror, he could see it. The silver in his hair. The bags under his eyes. The lack of life. And other words that summed him up. Reserved. Tired. Cold. Angry.  He hated what he'd become, but none of this hurt him. The one thing that hurt him was Evelyn. And that was for guilt. Guilt for the times he brushed her off for his work. And whenever they did talk, there were arguments. Disappointment. Nothing solved. But now was his chance to change things for the better, and make up for all the years they lost together. And now he had found the solution. Now he could bring those years back. He wanted to be the father he had been so long ago, with the twinkle in his eyes, and the genuine laughter. He wanted them to talk, and for Eve to feel close to him. But most of all, he wanted to feel closer to her.

"Things will only get better, I promise you, Evelyn" Tom murmured, and was  met once more by overwhelming silence. She stood by the kitchen table, hands flat out on it's surface, Head bowed. Tom watched a single tear drop down, and splash on the table. He rubbed his eyes, and sank into a chair. It was hard for her. This old piece of shit, full of bad memories lay in his mind, but in her mind, it was her home. It had been all of her life. But he only wanted the best for them. And the best thing for them would be change. So that he could move  on. She could move on. A new life, and to let this old one go.

"No. They won't. I'm not going anywhere, and you can't make me!" She cried, stepping back from the table. He sighed, covering his face. Evelyn looked so much like her mother.

"I know... I know it's hard, Evelyn, but there's nothing left for us here! We could start again! Listen to me. Your mother wouldn't have wanted to see this. We argue, twenty four seven! I'm a grumpy, irritable piece of shit, and I'm sorry. But we could start afresh, we could move to the countryside-" She cut him off. "You don't want what's best for me, you want what's best for yourself!" She screamed, throwing her hands in the air. He had known this was coming. It had been a ticking time bomb throughout her life. The day she would confirm what they both already knew.

"If you knew what was best for me, you wouldn't leave me. You never have time for me! And you don't want to anyway, because I remind you of mum!"

Tom froze. his hands fell away from his face. "No..." He whispered.

"Yes, dad! And that's why you want to leave" Her eyes sparkled with tears. "Because you can't let her go"

"That's not true!" Tom roared, pulling himself from the chair, hands shaking wildly. "I don't think you quite appreciate how much you mean to me sometimes, Eve!"

The silence returned. Eve cast her gaze to the floor, and said nothing. He knew that again, he had  lost her. Tom dropped his arms to his sides limply,  tilting his head back. The rain lashed at the windows, scolding him for his silence, for the move he never made to comfort her. And he couldn't. He couldn't bring himself to raise his eyes for shame. For the pain he felt.

"Eve just- Go to your room, Eve" He murmured, waving a hand at her. She looked up at him, eyes full of hurt and anger. But silence. Seconds passed. She eventually complied, turning on her heel and walking out of the kitchen. He listened to the fading clicks of her shoes on the stairs, and rubbed his eyes once more. 

***

"Eve" Tom said quietly, resting his cheek upon her door. "I'm sorry, I was totally unreasonable back there. I just.. I just want us to be happy."

Silence. 

He sighed, and pulled away from the door. "Eve, I just want you to know that I love you, and I only want what's best for you..."