prologue

One day, when I was younger, I heard about this couple on the news who was accused of abusing their baby boy. His constant bone fractures and inability to sit up on his own, a child abuse doctor said, were good enough evidence. But, as a matter of fact, he wasn't being abused. He just had OI.  

What's OI, you ask?

OI is a genetic mutation disorder and stands for "osteogenesis imperfecta," which is pretty self-explanatory once you know that it is otherwise known as the "brittle bone disorder." 

Some other symptoms of OI besides brittle bones are dentinogenesis imperfecta (A.K.A. "brittle teeth" or "opalescent teeth"), tinted sclerae, bone deformities, bone curvature, and hearing loss at an early age.

Now, how do I know so much about this, you wonder? Well, I have Type 1 OI. Type 1 is the most common and mildest type, so, luckily, mine's not so severe. (Unluckily, I still have it.) A simple trip could be the cause of two-months worth of cast time for me.

If you're curious about what happened to the couple, long story short is that they didn't have a happily ever after. Or at least according to what I last heard of them.

But I must say, when you've got a condition like this, what else could follow other than bad luck?