The First Job

I got ready for the day, putting on a blue t-shirt and a pair of white shorts, clothes that I wore when I came up with the box. There were no things for a girl in the box. Newt had guessed that they would probably send them in with the supplies next week and I couldn't do anything but wait. I pulled my hair into a messy ponytail and opened the door. Newt was waiting outside my room. They had given me my own because as Alby had put it ' I can't let a girl sleep with a bunch of hormonal boys '. I followed him outside of the Homestead and together we headed towards the kitchen to get our breakfast. The keeper of the cooks was a kind guy that didn't treat me like I was a hopeless little girl. He actually treated me like a person and I must say I beleive I will be good friends with the hairy cook. Everyone said that his food was made of klunk but it only took for me one bite of the pancakes to fall in love... Not with Frypan you pervs but with his food. As I stuffed my face with the pancakes. Newt who was sitting opposite me in the picnic table outside the kitchen started talking to me:
"So you seem okay with Frypan. Do you need me to stay with you during the day?" He asked
I quickly swallowed and said: "Don't worry I am good. So what am I going to do exactly?" I asked wanting more information.
"Well usually the Greenies help Frypan prepare lunch and dinner so that's my guess. Don't worry though I am sure you will be fine." He said giving me a reassuring smile. I simply nodded and we continued eating making light conversation.

After I finished eating Newt took me to the back of the kitchen where Frypan was waiting to teach me the basics
"Alright Frypan take care of the Greenie" Newt said and left, probably to take care of his own work.
"Okay Greenie lets get started, you shank. For today's lunch we are making steaks with corn. I will take care of the steaks and you make the corn, alright?" With that Frypan and I started working on today's lunch...

Cooking was not that hard but that didn't stopped me from burning my palm in an attempt to not burn the corn. Once I was finished, happy with my work I waited for Frypan to give the next orders.

"Good job Greenie! I must say I am impressed! Maybe you will be our next cook, huh?" He said with a happy voice as always
"Thanks but I didn't do that good of a job. I simply cooked some corn. Look at your steak!" I said impressed.
"Alright Greenie let's serve all these slintheads, shall we?"

As I served the Gladers I realized that all of them were just kids. Kids that anticipated the moment of relaxation and their lunch. They really appreciated it, you could see it in their eyes. They made comments like 'is this food made of klunk?' but it was easy to tell that they just wanted to have some fun, something very limited around here...

After I finished serving the other Gladers I grabbed my own plate of corn and steak and went outside to the eating area. I searched for the familiar mob of blonde hair of Newt or the sassy posture of Minho yet I couldn't find them anywhere. Finally I spotted Alby, the only other person besides my pair of neighbours I had opened up to. I went over to him and greeted him with a smile:

"Hey Alby, what's up?" I asked trying to make conversation
"What do you want Greenie?" he asked with a somewhat irritated voice
"Nothing I just can't find Newt and I thought maybe you knew were he was?" I asked hopefully
"He is running today shank! Now go eat and back to work greenbean" he commanded leaving me wondering...

After I ate, I made my way back to the kitchen to help Frypan with the dinner. He told we were making chicken soup with salad for dinner as well as apple juice. Since I had no idea how to cook a chicken I was given salad duty along with another somewhat inexperienced cook, named Alex. I was not in the mood for small talk especially with people that didn't know where my eyes were (if you get what I mean) but he seemed set on talking to me and that's exactly what he did when we had finally finished with dinner and started cleaning:
"So Grennie how do you find the Glade so far?" he asked inching closer to me.
"So far so good..." I answered trying to move away from him.
"Bet you it would be better if you had a bit of fun with an actual man and not those sissy runners you hang out with!" he said with a smirk on his face while raising his hands to touch my face.
"Maybe if I find one..." I turned to leave and mumbled under my breath thinking he wouldn't hear me.
"What did you say Grennie!?" he demanded while grabbing my wrist forcefully.
"Let me go you shank!" I shouted letting out a scream, trying to free myself from the bigger boy in front of me.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Newt's P.O.V.

Minho and I had just finished with the map room and I was ready to head for dinner when he stopped me by the door. The moment I saw that klunk eating smirk on his face I knew I was in for it, still I tried to play it cool:

"What do you want slinthead?"I asked crossing my arms over my chest.
"It's not about what I want it's about what you want" he said mimicking my motions.
"And what do I bloody want oh great and powerful Minho?"
"Oh I don't know... Maybe a new blanket, trousers, a few more inches down there..."
"Oi shut it you slinthead!"
"Just some suggestions! Don't get all defensive! What else would you want though? Hm I know! The Grennie!" he said throwing his hands up for effect!
"I don't want Luna"
" 'Course not! But if you did you should do something about it 'cause there are some pretty good looking shanks here, myself included, that have the balls to ask her out, well not out out but you know what I mean" he said with a wink, his smirk growing with every word.
"Shut up, you bloody idiot! I am hungry" I said pushing past him and opening the door.
"Hungry for love" he said following me towards the kitchen.

The dinner had already started and all the Gladers were sitting in the tables enjoying some kind of soup. Minho and I headed towards Frypan who was cleaning up the serving line in order to ask him for some food.
"Hey Fry! Feed us!" Minho said like a desperate little kid begging his mother for a cookie.
"Shut up slinthead! I have your plates in the back. Come on"
"Thanks Frypan..." I thanked the bearded boy tiredly.
As we were about to open the door a scream sounded: "Let me go you shank!"
My feet seemed to move on their own, all tiredness from the day's run was forgotten and within seconds I was in the back of the kitchen where they would usually clean. In front of me the scene seemed to play in slow motion. Alex was holding Luna by the wrist and from his stance I could say he was trying to get intimate while she was trying to push him away.
I was in no control of my body, it was simply reflexes, but even if I had control I would have done the exact some thing. My right hand, long before fisted, was in his face and my left was raised protectively in front of Luna, like a barrier.
"She said 'let me go', didn't she?" I asked my voice dangerously calm and my face hard
Alex was staring at me with wide, scared eyes and bruising, bleeding nose.
"Med-jacks!" Minho shouted but I hardly heard him. I had already turned to the frightened girl behind me.
"Are you okay, Lu?" I asked my face softening once I looked at her.
She looked at me with moist eyes. I stayed staring at her till she threw her arms around my neck and hugged me tightly.
"Thank you" she said sniffing slightly.
And at that moment I realized I wanted, no, I needed to protect her...