Minas Tirith

The ride to Minas Tirith took longer than three days for Windfola was not as fast as Shadowfax. It did not matter much, though, for it gave Míriel, Gandalf and Pippin some time to rest during the nights, and they could ride throughout the days. The company was a little strange since it was only the three of them, and they had never really spent time together alone like this before. Pippin was not as cheery as he usually was since he missed Merry, and Míriel had started to miss her friends as well.

Everyday Míriel thought of Legolas and that they hadn't left on the best terms. Either way, it did comfort her slightly that he seemed to care enough about her to worry her.

The journey to Minas Tirith lead Míriel to get to know this new Gandalf better, who turned out to be much the same as he had been before. He assured her that the new clothes did not change who he truly was, and then they spoke of happy things like Lothlórien. Míriel envied that he had gotten to spend time there and she longed back to her home almost every day; well, it had been her home for a very short time if one counted the amount of years that the Maiar Ilmarë had been alive. When Pippin was fast asleep Gandalf would tell Míriel about the Maiar, and of Valinor, and comforted her in the fact that they would find a way to reclaim her lost memories.

Finally, the three companions found themselves at the very front step of Minas Tirith itself, and for Míriel and Pippin, it was the first time that they saw the mighty White city. It was the capital of Gondor and where the Steward Denethor, son of Ecthelion and father of Boromir, dwelled in his halls. He was not King of Gondor, but only a keeper since there were no more Kings of Arnor and Gondor. The three companions were going to face the man soon enough, yet for now, they enjoyed the view of Minas Tirith.

The city was surrounded by a large ring wall encircling the city called Rammas Echor, and the Pelennor Fields. It laid beneath Mount Mindolluin which rose above the city's citadel by a length of a thousand feet. There were seven one-hundred-foot high levels that the city was divided into, each surrounded by white walls. Once it had been a mighty city, but now it had less than half of the population of Gondor soldiers which could have dwelt at ease. It was falling into ruin because of the growing power of Sauron. Unfortunately, it was not the first city like this that Gandalf and Míriel had seen.

Gandalf and Míriel had to ride their horses into the city which was not as filled with people as one would have thought. There were men and women here and there, but they did not look particularly happy. The people were losing its lustres as was the city itself. They glanced curiously at the two riders as they rode, and perhaps some of them recognised Gandalf as Mithrandir and an old friend.

Míriel could see the difference between the people of Gondor and those of Rohan quite clearly. They were dressed differently and rarely anyone had the golden locks that the Rohirrim had. Once the Gondorians had the blood of the Dúnedain in them, as they had been descendants of Númenór, but now they had mixed much and most of it was spent. The people were good looking though, with ruddy complexions and usually darker hair.

Gandalf did not give Míriel or Pippin time to speak with the Gondorians for he suddenly set off at full speed up the levels of the city. Míriel followed suit and had to urge Igor to keep up with Shadowfax that never seemed to grow tired. Gandalf did not stop until they came to the last level, the citadel, where he dismounted Shadowfax and helped Pippin down. They started walking toward the black gates to the halls, past a dying white tree in the middle of the courtyard.

"It's the tree," Pippin said. "Gandalf."

"Yes, the White Tree of Gondor," answered Gandalf without stopping. "The tree of the King. Lord Denethor, however, is not the King. He is a Steward only, a caretaker of the throne." Gandalf stopped right before the gates and turned to Míriel and Pippin. "Now listen carefully, Lord Denethor is Boromir's father. To give him news of his beloved son's death would be most unwise. Better not mention Frodo or the Ring. And say nothing of Aragorn either. In fact, it's better if you do not speak at all, especially you Peregrin Took."