Chapter 50: That Awkward Moment

I S L A

"So, you're the reason my son has a smile on his face."

I flinch sideways dramatically, my eyes falling onto Jason's mother who has impressively wedged herself across the tables discreetly. "I guess so." 

A smile shines across her face as she observes me, literally scrolling her eyes up and down, covering every inch of skin that is noticeable. "How old are you?"

I turn my attention back to Jason and Jade, my reply comes out quiet and disinterested as I meet a ferocious scowl from my daughter. "Twenty."

"A little young."

I watch as Jade keeps her eyes on me, initiating the most hateful stare I've ever seen as she walks back to her table. "Does that matter?"

"I'm just trying to work out why I've never heard about you."

Jason finally looks at me with an expression of exhaustion and sweat as he takes deep breaths against the wall. I don't know what she's said to him, but by the looks of him, and from the scowl Jade gave me, it can't be good. 

I nudge myself further away from Debra, avoiding her judgmental gaze at all costs; but as I look across the table, I only find myself meeting another. 

Rosie narrows her eyes, mentally urging me to try my hand at one of the most awkward conversations in history. I scrunch my nose, turning my head back to Jason's mother, who waits for a response. 

"You'll have to ask your son." I say, trying my best to conjure a smile, but it comes out all over the place. 

"I'm asking you."

The tone of her voice is not something I would usually expect from Debra. For all the years I had known her, she was like a mother to me. She was bubbly, naive, selfless and she would never had judged someone so quickly. 

But I've underestimated this entire situation. They don't see me as Jason's girlfriend, or someone that he could love or someone that could love him back--they just see a young girl clinging onto a middle-aged man's hand.

"What do you think I am?" I ask her, getting straight to the point. "Because I'm young, you think I'm taking advantage?"

"I know the game," she says, leaning in closely. "He has an impressive bank account, maybe he's bought you some nice new things and you got a little taste of a fortunate life."

I swing my head backwards, offended. "No, it's not like that. We love each other."

"Do you even know what love is?"

"Debra," Rosie says. "Stop patronizing her."

Debra ignores her, even placing a hand in the air to silence her further. "My son has been through a lot."

"I know I-"

"Let me finish. He's not had a good record with relationships, in fact, you could say he's the unluckiest in love as they come. It's hard for him to open up to anyone, especially a kid. So, this isn't really about love is it?"

I swallow. "You're wrong. You have no idea what we've-" I stop myself, breathing down those words until they're at the bottom of my stomach. "I'm not taking advantage, I swear. Jason is a good man. He's an amazing father. I couldn't care less about his money."