2. That Winter

A/N: The following chapter may contain triggering content.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Joseon dynasty, 1541

It was a frosty winter's day. You were at the age of 15.

Your family was invited to the king's party, celebrating the Crowned Prince (to be king) Seokjin's birthday.

You often heard from your dad that the crowned prince was a mild-tempered man, fit to be a great king.

You wore your favourite red dress and went to the palace. Many noble families were there, and the hall was as extravagant as always. It didn't seem like much for you, but it was Jimin's first time going to a party in his 17 years of life.

The crowned prince was a handsome man, he was of tall stature and had a warm, honey glowing complexion. He really was the King's son, they both had the same sort of aura.

"Welcome to Crowned Prince Seokjin's birthday party. We wish that you all have a wonderful time here." The king hollered in great joy.

Everyone returned to their seats and the chattering simmered until the hall was silent.

Everyone's eyes were on the one empty spot.

"Is the young Prince Jungkook not here yet?"

Many nobles shook their heads and sighed at the king's mention of the young prince. He did not seem so popular upon the nobles. There were many disproving murmurs and ridicules as if he was not the King's son.

"That whore's son should know his place."

"Shhh, the king will hear you."

"Everyone knows that the king hates him the most."

You were disgusted by those comments made by the couple beside you.

...

"I'm here! Your majesty!!"

The voice came from the entrance of the hall.

A young prince hurriedly ran in and kneeled before the King.

Being late to a crowned prince party was not something that anyone could do, yet the young prince looked the king straight in the eye, with no glint of fear, but some sort of confidence. Anyone could've been able to tell that this prince had a special status in this palace.

"Please forgive me for my late appearance, I was getting a gift for his highness."

The prince gave a smug smile to the crowned prince, whose face was scrunched into a not so handsome expression, he looked almost disgusted.

The prince reached inside his clothes and took out a beautiful bundle of white lilies.

"The prickles really hurt... But I did it for my brother, Prince Seokjin."

"How wonderful! Lilies in the midst of dead winter! Where did you find these Prince Jungkook?" The King was amazed, so was everyone else.

"I have my own ways, your majesty."

While everyone was chattering about the lilies, your eyes were fixed on the crowned Prince Seokjin.

His face was deadly pale.

Almost as pale as those lilies in the young prince's hands.

"Your highness*, don't these lilies bring back memories?" The prince's voice had a malicious twist.