The Peter Pan Effect

I fly above the green ocean of tree tops. Every tree seems to wave with its highest branch and thank me for providing the power that comes with being the king of Neverland. I smile to myself with happiness. I'm free and powerful, no one can hold down Peter Pan.

"Robbie!"

My eyes slowly open and I'm suddenly pulled back to the reality that has claimed me, even though it is not the real reality for which I was born into.

"There you are." The doctor licks his lips and slums back in his chair, a bit hunched. "I'd thought I lost you for the rest of our session." He chuckles, but it was dry and heavy.

I do wish he would let me be. I'm almost sure that if he would take me off my meds for a day or two, I would return to Neverland and never return, and then they would be the crazy ones. But they insist for me to take them religiously, like I need them. But I beg to differ.

"Now Robbie, we've finally got your results on your...condition." He cautiously tiptoed around the subject I hated so much. If only I could show them how wrong they are, but I'm unable to use my ability's in this realm.

"Nothings wrong with me Doctor, it's everyone else who are the fouls." I said with a clenched jaw. He pursed his lips together. "Yes well, you see, that's your problem. Other than your previous diagnosis of  narcissism, you have a rare condition. It's called 'The Peter Pan Effect', which is a bit ironic in your case." He chuckled. I rolled my eyes at his bad humor.

He cleared his throat. "Its when a person thinks they are actually a character from their childhood they are familiar with,  in hopes of staying young and not having to grow up. In your case, you think you are Peter Pan, the boy who never grows up." I clench my fist.

"There's no need to talk to me like I'm crazy. If anything I'm the most sane of all the lunatics here. And Doctor, I don't think I'm Peter Pan, I know  that I'm Peter Pan, Robbie in this world. You see, this realm is just many in hundreds, and I've somehow be sucked into this awful one. You sir are just as insignificant as everyone else here." He started writing in his notepad and nodded.

He looked up at me through his thick glasses. "And what about you Robbie? Are you insignificant?" He asked with his mouth in a firm line.

I chuckled and ran my fingers through my hair. "Of course not, in other realms the smallest mention of me cast a fear upon villages. I had an army of fearless lost boys who fell to my every whim. I was unstoppable and powerful."

He set down his notepad and looked at me, one hand resting on his ankle which was crossed over his knee. "I see." I smirked. He stood up. "Where done here Mr. Kay."

I stood up and walked out the door back into the white hallways that seemed brighter than the doctor's office. Two big bulky men stood at each end of the hallways, waiting to hold down or tackle any out of line patient.

"Robbie Kay, please report to the lunge." A preppy high pitched voice squealed form the speakers.

Daily meds. Always daily meds. The two men look over at me, waiting for me to move. I slowly walked down the left hallway.

I'm not sure how I got here, I just remember always being here. I woke up and remembered who I really was. I don't know where I am, all I know is it's a mental hospital in the land without magic, and people think I'm crazy. But know I'm not.

My mind in a persona hell, and some days I contemplate whether or not I really am crazy, but then I remember who I am. Peter Pan the great, and this world will not break me no matter what pills they feed me.