Chapter 9

That night, or morning really, I couldn't sleep. I kept wondering if Eli would talk to me at school. I played out different scenarios over and over again in my head. Maybe he would talk to me about Rico and bowling or maybe things would go back to normal and we would work on our project in the complete silence which ate away at my nerves all through History.

I woke up at five a.m. that morning after finally getting about an hour of sleep. I ate a piece of toast then went back upstairs to start my usual routine. I usually just brushed my hair or pulled it up, calling it a day, but for some reason, I found myself reaching for my curling iron and turning it on.

It took forever to curl my hair but when I looked at the end result, I was satisfied with what I saw. Large and loose ringlets fell down my shoulders and I was happy with the look, the way the curls made my hair look fuller...thicker. When I walked into school, I went to my locker to retrieve my History book. I shoved it inside my bag, scanning my locker for anything else I might need, but finding nothing. With a sigh, I continued to class, anxiety seeming to pump through my every vein at the thought of Eli and what might this day entail. When I got to class, Mrs. Hanson had left and note on the door telling us to go to the computer lab. I read the sign five times before fully comprehending, but when I finally did, I pulled out my school map considering I had yet to learn where the computer lap was. When I walked in, Mrs. Hanson was standing by the door.

"Hi Annabel, we are taking a break from our projects to do some practice tests. Your name is on one of the computer screens where you can go ahead and log on."

"Okay." I nodded, scanning the classroom for the familiar face, taking time to look over every person but now finding the dark headed guy I was searching for.

I found my computer which was right next to Beth. She looked up at me with a smile and I sat down. I looked around for Eli again while my computer powered on, but he was nowhere and I grew anxious as the minutes ticked away and the one-minute bell sounded throughout the school.

"I love your hair Annabel." She picked up a ringlet before letting it fall to my shoulder.

I looked at her, nodding as I offered a small smile. I felt comfortable today, like I'd somehow transformed into a new version of me, a better one at that.

"Thanks."

"Are you coming by the shop after school?"

I nodded, offering Beth a genuine smile that for once I didn't have to force. I didn't really realize it until a few seconds later when she was glancing at me sideways, curious expression adopting her face.

"I was planning on it but if you guys are really busy then I won't bother you."

"Hey, you saved the day yesterday. I couldn't have figured out what I'd done wrong. Annabel, I looked at the book. You fixed every mistake we've made since April. How did you know where to start?"

I shrugged, barely paying attention to her and instead, keeping my eyes trained on the door.

"I don't know." I lied.

Truthfully, it was because of Greyson that I was so good at math and figuring out mathematical errors. He had practically driven it into my head, dragging me along to his study groups where I was forced to hear equations and theorems for four straight hours. I always knew that I didn't have to go but I also knew that if I didn't, I would be alone again in my mother's oversized house. Although, sometimes being home alone was even more appealing than Greyson and his study groups. I looked down at my bag, thinking about all of his messages I had left unanswered since I'd been at my dad's house. When I realized I was day dreaming, I looked around to make sure nobody was watching before I began working on my first practice test, figuring Eli had skipped school, or just History. A few minutes later though, he walked in, his bag over his shoulder, head ducked down like normal as he handed Mrs. Hanson a late pass. He made eye contact with me but was seated by Mrs. Hanson on the other side of the room. Of course.