Story 4: Nicky

Monday morning. My alarm clock blares, pulling me out of dreamland and into reality. I jump out of bed to shut off the alarm, then walk to the bathroom and stare in the mirror. Today's gonna be hell.

The gray-blue eyes of my reflection stare back at me, giving me a look that I can't quite name. Shy? Maybe. More like paranoid. I run a hand through my thin, white-blonde hair, staring at my pale, vampire-like skin. I'm Nicolette Mc'Owens,  freshman in high school.

My dad's job got moved across the country from California to Maine, and today's my first day at the new school. I had to pick up everything and leave all my friends behind, starting over in a completely new place. I'm nervous.

I walk out of the bathroom and look out the window. It's spring in most places right now, but here, snow is still falling heavily, coating the streets in several inches of white. The sky is full of clouds and the sun in nowhere to be found.

Time for a new day.

.........

The big yellow school bus rounds the corner and pulls into the parking lot of my new school. Barely anyone rides the bus in high school, and the few people that did didn't really acknowledge me. I step off the bus and slip in the snow. I face plant. Great way to make a good first impression, Nicky!

I pick myself up off the ground and glide into the building with what I hope is an heir of grace. I make my way to the office and collect my schedule, getting many questioning looks along the way.

The hallways are packed full of people, rushing to get to their lockers and see their friends before the bell. As if my thoughts triggered it, the bell rings for class. I manage to find my way to class without getting lost, barely. I enter the room and sit just as the late bell rings. A couple kids smile or nod at me, but that's about it. One guy catches my eye.

The seat on my right is occupied by possibly the cutest boy on earth. He has brown hair that hangs down shaggily, but not too long, just reaching his ears. His bright green eyes glimmer happily, and their are smile lines around his mouth. Even though he's sitting I can tell he's tall.

"Hi!" He says, breaking the silence. "I'm Derrick Williams. What's your name?" He says, extending a hand to shake.

"I'm Nicolette Mc'Owens, but I go by Nicky." Our hands touch and my fingers tingle.

"Nice to meet you, Nicky."

.........

I sit down on the bus with a thump. School just ended, and it was hectic. The day went by in a blur of new classes, new teachers, and new students. I managed to make friends with a girl in science named Mary, so that's pretty good. And my old school was a little ahead of this one in most subjects, so it should be easy enough to keep my grades up.

"What are you thinking about?" A voice asks from next to me. I jump. I hadn't even realized someone had sat beside me. I turn around to face them and almost gasp. The cute boy from English!

"Oh, hi!" I say, trying to play it cool. "Sorry, you scared me."

"That's ok, I probably should've asked to sit." He says. I shrug. "So what had you such deep though that you didn't notice my amazing presence sit down beside you?" He smirks.

"Wow. Egomaniac much?" I say sarcastically. "All I was thinking about is how crazy it is to be at a new school."

"Yeah, I know what you mean. I just came here from Washington a couple months ago." He tells me. I smile; someone else gets it. He gets a funny look on his face.

"What?" I ask.

"Nothing." He grinned, "I just like it when you smile."

"Huh?"

"Yeah. Your eyes get all sparkly and your dimples show." I feel my cheeks begin to redden. "Don't tell me one little compliment gets your cheeks that red?" He asks. I blush harder and he laughs softly.

I change the subject quickly. "If you're here now, how come I didn't see you on the bus this morning?"

"Missed the bus." He says sheepishly.

"Oh. When's your stop?"

"Next."

"Mine too!" I say, surprised at the coincidence.

"Wanna walk together?" he asks. My heart leaps into my chest.

"Sure." I say, trying to keep the excitement out of my voice and failing epically. I'll just play it off as the new kid. "It's so nice to have someone to talk to already. I haven't even been here a day!" The bus stops and we both walk off. He syncs his step to mine and I laugh.

"Do you wanna sit with me tomorrow at lunch?" He asks. "Unless you're already sitting with someone else."

"No! I mean yes! I mean... No, I'm not sitting with someone else, and yes I'll sit with you." My face begins to redden again. He grins.

"Great!" We reach my house. "This yours?"

"Yup." My breath comes out in a cold puff, mingling with the air outside.

"Well, Miss Nicolette Mc'Owens, it was a pleasure to make your acquaintance." He says, tipping an imaginary hat. I giggle.

"Same to you. See you tomorrow." He gives a wave, turns the corner, and disappears. I pause on my doorstep; Maine might be better than I thought...

....