Chapter 35

I have never noticed this before but all hospitals smell the same, like pine sol and medication. I heard the beeping of the monitors and the shuffling of someone or maybe a few persons. Why was I even in the hospital? What happened? Was I dying?

I could hear people mumbling around me and someone's hand touched mine sending waves of pleasure. My Ethan, I felt myself smile. Ethan was here the love of my life. What happened? I remember we were having an argument about Mandy and then blood so much blood on the floor. I felt a pain in my heart he had still loved Mandy and I sobbed opening my eyes.

I saw Ethan first he looked exhausted his eyes had dark circles and he looked like he aged a few years. Heather, Claire and my father came into view they all looked tired and I smiled at my dad I hadn't seen him in so long.

"Daddy." I whispered trying to sit up.

"Hey princess." He smiled. "Take it easy." He said.

"What happened?" I asked turning to Heather avoiding Ethan's eyes. If I looked at him I'll cry, he broke my heart.

"I think Ethan should be the one to tell you that." She nodded at him and looked away.

"Where is Emily?" I asked and looked behind them.

"Jemma has her outside." My father said.

"Who's Jemma?" I asked.

"My girlfriend wanted you to meet her but not like this." He bowed his head.

"Well bring in Jemma and my baby." I smiled at him and he straightened up and went outside. No one spoke and I never once looked over at Ethan because just thinking about him made my heart hurt like crazy. He threw a dagger at my heart.

"Belle..." he started but stopped when the door opened again. Dad walked in with a woman who was a beautiful brunette with brown eyes, thin lips and slightly high cheekbones. They came closer to the bed and Heather and Claire stepped away.

"Here's my baby." They gave me Emily who was drooling. I looked up at the woman with a big smile. "Hi it's nice to meet you Jemma." I smiled.

"The pleasure is all mine I have heard so much about you from your father." She beamed he smiled wide and genuinely happy.

"Sorry we are meeting under such weird circumstances." I apologized.

"I'll go tell the doctor she's awake." Ethan said before leaving the room.

"At least we are meeting." I said. I looked down at Emily who was cooing to herself. Everyone had a sad look on their face as if something bad was happening or happened. "Why does everyone face look so sad?" I asked.

"Cassie..." Heather came up beside me and had her hand on my shoulder. "I'm really sorry." Tears in her eyes.

"About what?" I asked beginning to worry now. The door opened and Ethan and the doctor came in and everyone stepped away from the bed.

"I'll take Emily." Claire said and took Emily from my hands. "I think we should give these two some privacy." She said and opened the door and they left the three of us in the room.

The room was silent and I cleared my throat. "So what happened?" I asked. Ethan edged his way beside me.

"Okay so I'm sorry to say but we couldn't save the baby." He said and I was confused.

"What are you talking about?" I asked.

"You were pregnant. Weren't you aware? Just a few weeks." The doctor said and I zoned out. Ethan's hand rested on my shoulder and it brought me back.