I Gotta Say Goodbye

Steve always figured he would die for something great, he had hoped that the 'something great' would be his country. But now as he climbs into the pilot's seat and realizes that he's out of options, he starts to regret his past hopes.

The intercom crackles to life next to him, "Steve?..... Steve!?". Steve lets out a breathless laugh and starts to roll up his left uniform sleeve to get to the bright blue letters that extend from his elbow down to his wrist, Howard Anthony Walter Stark. When he was growing up he used to get weird looks if he wore short sleeve shirts, especially when he was going through the examination tests to try and join the army, because everyone knows who Howard Stark is, and to think that this short, skinny, asthmatic boy was his Soulmate, was simply outrageous.

Everyone used to tell him that he could go to the Stark Mansion and find Howard, but Steve has always thought that Soulmates should find each other without meaning to, simply be guided into each other without knowing it.

Steve smiles and lays a hand over his name, "Hey Howard, it's me", he says trying to contain his joy that the last thing he'll hear is his Soulmates voice. "Are, are you alright?", he hears Howard ask him timidly. Steve shrugs and takes a deep breath, "I guess... listen, Howard, I don't want you being lonely for the rest of your life, ok? I want- I need you to find someone else, either a friend, a companion, a- a spouse. Just find someone that makes you happy" he says as he starts to lower the ships nose down towards the water, ignoring how his voice had started to crack.

Howard is quiet for a moment, and then, "Steve, wh- Steve what the hell are you going on about now? you're okay, you said you were okay... Is- is this about Bucky? 'Cause if it is, he'd tell you to shut the hell up, we all kno-" Steve cuts him off, "No, Howard, this isn't about B- him, I promise. This plane is headed straight for New York, I gotta stop it- and before you start getting any ideas, there's not enough time for that. This isn't and never will be your fault, Baby, I don't want you blaming yourself for my decisions." Steve knows there's not much time left but he didn't want to leave any stone unturned.

"Howard... do you love me? please, say it, I- I need to hear it baby." he says begging for Howard to say the words he's been waiting for. "Yes, yes, Steve, I-I love you". Steve lets out a wet, happy laugh, not surprised to find tears on his face. "Good, that's good baby, or else this was gonna get real awkward.". He hears Howard chuckle and grins. "I love you too, I gotta say goodbye, sweetheart, you gotta let me say goodbye." Steve's voice cracks again but he doesn't care. "Steve, Steve no" Howard insists but Steve cuts him off again, he needed this, he knew they both did. "Howard, please, for me.".

The water was approaching quicker, but he needed to hear Howard say goodbye. Finally he hears the intercom crackle again "G- goodbye, Steve.". Steve grins and cries harder "Goodbye, Howard.". Steve brings his arm to his lips and kisses Howards name just as the plane hits the ice with a final BANG.

Notes from author:

Hello! Sorry for the heartbreaking chapter, but it was the, I guess we could call it preview? Like when you go see a movie and they have a scene from the climax and then the tittle and intro and then the movie actually starts? Yeah, that's what this is, sorta.

Anyway, I hope you liked it, and please remember, comments are the only thing they feed us when we're locked in our writing cages.