Chapter 3

Here is the next chapter of Pyre Boundaries.  What do you think? Is the male perspective working for you?  Do you think I need to flip it to hers?  I am think about the next chapter being Nina Marie's and finding out whats been going on over the past few days?  Let me know what you think

*********

Cian's POV

I knew the moment the words erupted from my mouth that they would be perceived by the pack as a proclamation that Nina Marie was my soul mate. That didn't bother me that much since Luke had already more or less forced me to admit that truth already.

What bothered me was how Nina would react to my words. Despite holding back so many other times earlier in the day those four words made me incredibly vulnerable to rejection. She needed only to say 'no' and I felt like my soul would shatter into a thousand pieces. My mind was racing. I needed to say or do something before she chose for both of us.

I could claim that she needed to stay with me so we could continue to work on a solution. I could persuade her by saying that I just needed a little more time. I could even add to that by telling her I would introduce her to other council members and Fae and see if they too could work on finding a possible way to get her home. Perhaps if I kept my feeling and emotions out of it she would comply and stay with me.

Then if that didn't work, I just might have to be more forthright and expose my heart and soul to her. That option truly did petrify me since something in her eyes told me she wasn't ready to accept me as mate. I just somehow knew if I forced the issue, she would reject me. Then I started to wonder if her soul even felt the same pull as I did. What if the bond was one sided? I could see in our auroras that we were tied together but what if I was the only one with an emotional need. That's when I felt something inside of me shifted yet again. Nothing I said or did was going to work. Not tonight anyway. I knew Nina held all the cards and the choice of where she slept tonight had to be hers.

"Cian, Come on. Leave this alone for tonight. Let her get some rest. Come by my place in the morning." said Luke in a sympathetic voice

I briefly lifted my eyes to Nina's. I could see relief on her face at the thought of leaving with the wolves, so I nodded in her direction. I didn't dare speak since I couldn't trust that my voice or body language wouldn't expose me further. I turned my back on the rest of the room so that I wouldn't be forced to watch Nina Marie walk away from me. I heard people leaving the room and realized my eyes had become a little misty and my breathing was unsteady and difficult.

When the room finally grew silent and I was sure all the wolves had vacated my domicile in favor of their own, I forced myself to turn around and examine the empty room. I sniffled and turned towards the stairway that would take me to the upper levels.

Because my home was completely made of magic it is much larger on the inside than on the outside. In fact, the inside changes sizes and shapes based on my needs. For example, when it was just Nina Marie and me in the living room it was approximately three hundred square feet. Then, when the wolves all charge in the room grew to closer to three thousand square feet.

I trudged slowly up the stairs and immediately turned into my sleeping quarters. Like the house, the furniture is also constructed wholly from magic as well. Therefore, it too is limited to my needs. If Nina had stayed with me, the room and furniture would have altered to fit both of our needs. For example, the size of the bed and perhaps the amount of furniture in the room would have changed. Even the shape, style and color of the room would have changed to suit her needs.

I looked around the near baron room and realized that my needs and desires prior to meeting Nina had been sparse. Despite the fact that colors were encouraged and acceptable within COR, my room was basic white and lacked any and all other colors. Additionally, I had only three pieces of furniture. The bed, a desk and a chair. According to my father, my quarters are very similar to a dragon's quarters outside of COR.