Chapter 6 - The Dream Job

I still think about it, what Ms. Amelia said about her mum the other day. I've never been this fascinated before. Looking back to your past~ that has to be one of the most magical things you can ever experience.

I added three teaspoons of creamer and stirred my coffee a few more times. I looked outside the kitchen window as I took a sip on my new coffee cup. It's only about 6:20 now, I have to be out before 8 o'clock, but I can't find the will to move faster. The morning air is somehow telling me to slow down, that I don't need to rush. This morning would have been perfect if it weren't for the thunder steps I heard from the staircase.

It was Siegfried. Who else could it be? Seems like he just woke up.

"Err...good morning?!" I hesitated.

"Yeah, what's good in the morning when you've got five minutes to have breakfast?" He said grumpily. I regret saying it. I never should have said anything at all. He grabbed a toast from the table and poured himself half a cup of coffee. He sat at the other end of the table, looking away from where I was sitting. We spent almost the whole day like this yesterday too. He would completely shut me off every time I say something. I wonder what I can do to get a decent response from him. Is he like this to everyone? I have no idea. I only hear him talk to Aunt Margaux, of course he won't give her a cold shoulder. I heard he's supposed to start working today too. They have a farm nearby. I haven't been to that place though it is known as one of the best source of meat and milk around town. Looking at him, I wonder if he'd survive doing farm work. He looks like he has never worked a single day in his life. 

"Ehem" I cleared my throat. "That boy in the picture...is that you?

He took another bite from his toast but he looked at the spot where I was pointing at. "Yeah" He casually replied.

"When Aunt Margaux said her nephew was coming, I thought she meant that little boy from the picture. I never thought you were..."

"Yeah, it's called growing up" He cut me off. 

I may be wrong but I felt like I saw him rolled his eyes after saying those words. He got up from his seat, left his cup on the sink and made his way out of the house without another word. In a few seconds, I heard the car engine and off he went. I guess I'll do the dishes then. I heard another sound coming from the staircase, just when I thought I was alone in the house. 

"My dear, did Siegfried leave just now?"

"Yes~ that was him just now."

"That boy was supposed to leave at 5:30." Aunt Margaux descended the stairs with much grace. "I don't think the ranch foreman would go easy on him for being late on his first day. I specifically told him to treat Siegfried like a normal employee." She chuckled a little. 

"Are you going somewhere today Aunt Margaux?" I asked.

"Oh no dear, I am going to stay here for the whole day today. I feel like tending the garden~ I haven't done that in a while." She sat at the same seat Siegfried left moments ago. "Today is your first day at your work too, right?"

"Yes, Aunt Margaux~" I don't even know why but I felt too shy to smile. 

"Well, best of luck my dear. What would you like for dinner? I feel like cooking something special for your first day of work."

                                                          ------------------------

Somewhere along Ford lies a ranch owned by five generations of the Winford clan. It is said to be much bigger than it is now. Every now and then, someone from the clan would sell a portion of the land, thus, making it smaller overtime. Half of what's left of it was turned into a dude ranch just several years ago. That's not where I'm headed though. I'm headed to High Street~ the center of town. 

I studied journalism in London, but, here I am, on my first day of work at a small coffee house in town. I can only imagine the look on my foster family's faces if they find out I'm working here. They might think this is some kind of a joke, but, I'm pretty serious about this - about what I'm about to do. I am quite prepared to hear people's questions about what kind of future I'm heading to. I also know that I don't have to give a definite answer unless they are willing to help me pave the way towards my future. I have had this plan ever since I was little - that one day I will own a shop that I will manage until I grow old, if I will ever grow old. However, since Uncle Dave knows about my passion in writing and researching, he suggested that I take up journalism to get a better understanding of how things work in the media and maybe someday make a living out of what I have learned from university. It was not a bad idea. I took his suggestion and tried to be one of the bests in my class. But I never lost sight of my dreams. I did not disobey Uncle Dave; I fulfilled my promise of finishing my studies. But, it's up to me what kind of job I'd do after graduating. And I chose this. I have absolutely no idea where I'd go from here, but I'll face it head on.