Prologue

"Can anyone tell me what sort of potion this is?" Professor Slughorn asked the class of students before him. All but one hand remained facing towards the ground. The only hand that was raised belonged to a young boy with dark curls pushed over to the side of his picture perfect face.

"The most powerful love potion in the world." He spoke. His voice could make any girl's knees wobble and butterflies attack their stomach. "It's called Amortentia, Sir. It's rumoured to smell differently to each person according to what attracts them." He finished.

"Well done Mr. Riddle. 10 points to Slytherin." The room began to fill with some muffled sighs of annoyance which mostly came from the Gryffindor students. The young boy, however, showed no emotion in response to his annoyed peers except his charming smile and confident posture. His hands remained behind his back, while his well-defined jaw was raised high in a sophisticated matter. Most would say 'he's an uptight know-it-all', but others would say 'he's perfect, dreamy but most of all drop dead gorgeous. Oh did I mention perfect?' Mr. Riddle had the ability to wrap anyone around his little finger if he wanted to just by having one conversation with them or a glance in their direction. Whether it was from fear or his charming façade, the ability to control came to him easily.

Professor Slughorn removed the lid to the cauldron with ease and in one quick motion. All of the boys in the class immediately lost interest at the sight of a pink swirl leaving the once closed cauldron then bursting into thin air. However, every girl in the room snapped wide awake. It was almost as if Merlin flicked a switch on a machine that could determine the attention of both genders.

Professor Horace Slughorn scanned the classroom of mixed interest. "Who would like to do the honours of smelling what attracts them the most?"

"Riddle would!" One of the Gryffindor boys yelled across the classroom. That Gryffindor was Zach Kinston, one of the Gryffindor beaters for the Gryffindor Quidditch team. Zach was well known for pestering anyone who wasn't a Gryffindor, or close friends with one of his goons. Zach lent back on the table and smirked at Riddle. All of the girls looked over at the boy with excited eyes. They were about to find out what attracted him, or who for that matter.

"Tom m' boy. Well done for volunteering." Slughorn knew well that he didn't actually volunteer which was why he looked over at Zach and the laughing Gryffindor boys while adding. "Another 5 points to Slytherin... and 5 points from Gryffindor for putting another student in a peer pressure situation... to which you could've clearly taken yourselves." The once laughing boys shoved Zach because of what he'd just done. The house of Godric Gryffindor was winning with the most points due to the intellectually superior students in their 6th and final year at Hogwarts, well that was until Zach had to set them in the last place.

Confidently he wandered over to the table at the front of the class. No emotion other than pure confidence left his face. His feet moved without error as a slight sound echoed around the room as his feet came in contact with the polished wooden floor. His steps began to get slower as the suspense grew larger. The look on all of the girl's faces was a mix of annoyance because he was taking his sweet time, to a look of deep thought as they listed off the names of the women he's spoken to outside of class.

Tom leant closer to the pink bubbling cauldron before taking a deep breath. Every noise in the room stopped. Kinston and his annoyed minions even stopped everything to find out who it was so they could tease him even more.

"Well, Tom m' boy. What do you smell?" Horace asked.

"I smell the damp earth from the Forbidden Forrest, rolls of dusty parchment and a bottle of ink. There is also something else, although I would prefer to keep that to myself." Tom responded. He stood back up in his previous posture. The boy then walked to his books and left the lesson a second before it finished.