Chapter 2

Chapter 2

"So...?" I leaned back on my heel and raised a brow at Papa- who continued to read through his morning newspaper, not sparing me a second of his attention.

I huffed and glared at the paper in his hands that seemed more interesting than what his daughter had to say. He slowly placed the paper down and rested his chin on his hand, leaning forward and eyeing me.

Maybe I looked a little childish, bouncing from heel to heel but you couldn't blame me! This man had not spoken a word to me since yesterday. I was simply curious and needed answers. My curious and restless self was getting well.....restless!

I wanted answers, I needed them to solve the puzzle in my mind that shuffled like pieces on a chessboard. Although my mind was a little more confusing than chess, chess was very very confusing - now that was a reference to how confusing my mind was.

"What's the matter, Ayla?"

My jaw dropped as I gave him an 'are you for real?!' glare.

It was amazing how my father at his golden age of 55 did not look a day over 30. His face was smooth and only a few wrinkles had settled into his forehead and around his eyes, his eyes would sinch in when he smiled. His hair was a beautiful dark brown colour with a few streaks of grey peeking through- those must have been as a result of his stressful job. I always wondered why Papa decided to enter politics. Coming from a small minority background, being a resident in America had already proven its challenges. I admired my father's efforts to try to prove to the country that we were all equals and no one's background or race mad then superior to the other.

"Cat got your tongue...Jaan?" He asked politely and even has the audacity to tilt his head and feign confusion. I groaned into my hands before aggressively dragging a chair to where he was sat and planting my backside onto it. I carefully straightened my white blouse and dusted off my black skinny pants, I had to ensure they were not creased as I would be heading into my hospital shift soon.

"Who is Mr Khan and why did you two seem so aquatinted," I asked hurriedly with no shame whatsoever.

Papa chuckled and folded his arms across his chest, before smiling at me and pinching my nose. I scowled and swatted his hand away in annoyance but couldn't help the smile slowly creeping onto my face.

"I know I said I didn't care but-"

"But you couldn't sleep without knowing what was going on right?" Fawad my annoying second eldest brother walked in and finished for me. I sent him a quick glare before turning to give Papa an innocent smile.
"Don't you have to be at work?"

I narrowed my eyes as Papa tried to change the conversation, he had been doing that a lot recently and it was very frustrating. Sometimes I felt as though he didn't realise I was no longer is his little girl who needed shielding from the terrors of the world.

"He's just an old friends son and he is working on a very important job for me." He folded his newspaper neatly and placed it on the table. I watched as he carefully picked up his coffee cup and took a gulp of scolding hot black coffee and placed it back onto the saucer. I grimaced internally, yuck. Whoever drank black coffee was simply ruthless in my very personal opinion.

"He will be here tonight to discuss important business with me, no funny business Ayla," I narrowed my eyes whilst placing my hands onto the table.

I wasn't a child, I didn't need a warning.

"I'm very well behaved Papa, maybe you should tell Fawad the same thing," I cringed as Fawad sat at the other end of the table, shovelling into his mouth a large bowl of fried rice in the extremely early hours of the morning. Table manners were clearly not his forte.