Chapter 11: Spice - Ginger

My apologies for the delay in posting this chapter! Life happened, as it has a way of doing.

"So... what do we do now?" Draco asked, as Luna dunked the last dish into the sudsy water with a gleeful splash. He grimaced slightly as she flashed a quick grin and handed it to him, dripping with water and bubbles. He hit it with a quick drying spell and sent it winging away into the cupboard, then aimed another drying spell at the wet spot on the floor, shaking his head. The last thing he needed was for someone to fall and blame him for it. He gasped, jerking back in surprise, as Luna darted forward and deposited a blob of suds on his cheek.

"Luna!" he exclaimed, horrified, as she burst into unrepentant giggles.

Harry snorted and gently swiped the bubbles away, his warm fingers lingering a few seconds longer than strictly necessary. Draco felt his scowl softening into a sappy grin. Before he could say anything, Ron pushed past them, shouldering Draco out of the way. "It's games night."

Draco sighed. He and Ron were really going to have to have a talk, one of these days.

Harry smiled apologetically at him, shrugging his shoulders slightly. He slipped his hand into Draco's and tugged him toward the parlor after the others.

"Which tonight, do you think?" asked Luna, tilting her head to the side in a decidedly bird-like manner.

Draco frowned, at a loss. "What's games night?"

Everyone except Draco and his parents shared a knowing look. "It's, well..." Ron trailed off, frowning. "Actually, we'd better just show you." He strode across the room and threw open a cabinet that Draco hadn't noticed. On the shelves inside were stacks of colorful boxes, marked with mysterious, and obviously muggle, symbols and phrases. "Welcome to games night!"

"Jenga? Twister? Monopoly? Clue?" Draco muttered to himself as he scanned the boxes, searching for something – anything – familiar.

Luna skipped over to the cabinet and rummaged through the boxes, emerging after a few minutes with a large box and a delighted smile. "How about this one? It sounds fun."

Harry and Hermione shared an inscrutable look. "Um, Luna..." Harry started.

Hermione interrupted him, lower lip caught between her teeth. "Are you sure, Luna? Maybe we should start with an easier one."

Snape strode forward then, clearing his throat. He plucked the box from Luna's grasp. "I, for one, would much rather spend the evening playing a game, rather than arguing over which one to play."

Ron grinned. "The man has a point."

Snape rolled his eyes. "Do try to contain your enthusiasm, Mr. Weasley." He stalked back over to the couches and chairs that had rearranged themselves into a loose circle. He flicked his wand carelessly, whisking a small coffee table into the center of the circle. Another flick and a muttered engorgio, and the coffee table enlarged to fill the space. Snape nodded and plunked the box down in the center of the table. "Miss Lovegood? Would you care to do the honors, since you were the one who chose the game?"

"Gladly, Sev." Luna grinned up at him as she opened the box. Snape's eyebrow twitched, and a muscle jumped in his tightly clenched jaw, but he didn't comment.

Draco was impressed, despite himself, at the man's restraint. He could feel a new tension crackling in the air between the two, and wondered. It felt as if they were balanced on a knife-edge, awaiting the push that would tip them over the edge, still unsure which way they would fall. He snorted to himself. Professor Snape and Loony Lovegood. Who'd have guessed. Of course, that wasn't who they were anymore. If it ever had been. After 7 years of classes with the man, 7 years with him as his Head of House, for goodness' sake, and he realized that he'd never really known him.