Ch. 20- On The Edge

You start sweating nervously, and the group of four circles you.

The girl with the spear attacks first, jabbing her weapon forward.
You dodge and parry a blow from the double sided sword, then duck and slide to the left as the axe buries itself in the ground you were standing on moments before.

A flash of sliver catches your eye and you dodge, but not before a ninja star cuts a long, burning slice in your cheek.

You blink rapidly, swallow the pain and knock the spear aside as it jabs for you again.

You jump, sailing high in the air, then change direction and land on all fours outside of the little circle of death.

You dodge another ninja star, barely, and you hear the whistle of the air as it spins by your ear.

You straighten your arm out to your side.

"My... Blade." You say between gasps.
"More."

The needles from the cuff sink further into the skin on your arm, and you wince, but soon your blade is burning bright red, almost glowing.

Your movements are a blur as you rush to the outside of the group. You sweep the ninja star bearer's legs out from under her and then swiftly kick the spot on her head Mika taught you, the spot that immediately knocks the person out.

One down.

The green axe comes down, and this time you don't have time to dodge. You bring your sword up to protect yourself,  and the axe clanks against it.

Your knees buckle against the weight, and you press your other hand onto the flat of your blade, using both hands to hold up the heavy axe.

Your hands are occupied, and your midsection is completely unprotected.

A sword goes through your chest.

At first all you feel is shock, looking down at the bloody tip.

This can't be real.

The axe lifts, and your sword drops, the cuff coming undone. It makes a swirl of dust puff up around it.

I can't die here.

Your arms slump to your sides, and you  go limp around the blade, eyesight dimming.

I have Mika. Strong, tall Mika with his blond hair, and his eyes, I love his eyes. All my patients... If I die will I be replaced? Will they be as good at healing as me? Will... Will they...

"Activate your weapon." The voice is muffled now.

Mika.... Mika can't... I can't do this to him.... He's.... Lost so much....

Time seems to slow.

He lost.... Everything.... Cried... Had nightmares for years..... But... I was there, I was there to tell him... To tell him everything would get better.

I told....

I told him that one night....

That I would never leave him....

And... That first time we kissed...

When I got changed by Ferid....

He....

He took all of my pain away....

Mika...

I...

I think I love you.