Chapter Two

After a long time of waiting, we are finally on our way to the zoo. We had to rent a minivan so everyone could fit: Dad driving, Mum in the passenger's seat, Dudley and his friend Piers in the middle, and me and Harry in the back. Me and Harry spent the whole ride telling jokes and stories. Harry even told me about one of his dreams. It had a flying motorcycle and everything!!

"Mum, Dad! Did you hear that? Harry said he had a dream about a flying motorcycle!" I say, interrupting their conversation about people Dad doesn't like.

"MOTORCYCLES DON'T FLY." He yelled, suddenly turning in his seat and causing us to almost crash.

The rest of the ride was silent until they got to the zoo.

"ICE CREAM!!!" Dudley screamed, pulling Piers and his family to the truck. Dudley and Piers got chocolate cone.

The lady turned to Harry and asked what he wanted but Dad interrupted. "He'll have a lemon ice pop. Madison what would you like?"

"I'll have one of those also," I said with a smile, not wanting Harry to be left out. It was actually quite good, honestly.

We saw so many animals!! We saw lions, penguins, gorillas, giraffes, and so many more! We also ate lunch in the cafeteria but the food wasn't that good. But Dudley of course had to be spoiled and got a new meal because his old one wasn't good enough. But at least Harry got to finish it.

After lunch we went to the reptile house. I'm afraid of snakes so I waited outside with Mum.

While we were waiting, we heard screaming and people running for the exits. What was going on?? Me and Mum rush inside to see a giant snake slithering out of its enclosure and snapping at Dudley and Piers. I may not like snakes but this one was pretty cool.

"Excussse me Misssss" I hear someone say.

I look around. No one was there. I look down and see the snake slithering by. But it couldn't have been...

Once we got home, Dad was furious. He made Harry stay in his cupboard without any meals. That was just mean. So after dinner I took an apple and did my best to sneak to Harry's cupboard.

I opened the door and slid inside. It was quite small in here. And dirty. As I thought this, some of the dust and cobwebs disappeared. Strange.

"Hey Harry!" I whispered, sitting next to him.

"Maddy? What are you-"

I cut him off by handing him the apple. "You might be able to get more when theyre all asleep. Its 7:30 right now."

Harry hugged me. "Thanks Maddy."

"No problem Harry." I smiled and hugged back. "Harry?" I ask letting go of the hug.

"Yeah?"

"Could you... Did you hear the snake too?" I ask, nervous. What if I was just crazy??

"You heard it too??" Harry replied, sounding relieved.

"Yeah. I heard it as it left. It said 'Excussssssse me misssssssss'" I laugh, putting on my best snake impression.

Harry laughed too. "It was going to Brazil."

After me and Harry's talk, I went upstairs to open my gifts. I got a lot of clothes, shoes, and I even got a few books! I didn't ask for much so I also got quite a bit of money. Around 50 pounds.

As we all were settling in for bed, I snagged a few more snacks and went to Harry's cupboard.

And so the days went. Harry staying in his cupboard and me coming by periodically to give him food, books, and just to talk about our dreams and what was going on outside the cupboard.

When summer came, Harry was finally unpunished. We hung out quite a bit and usually went on walks or played board games in my room to escape Dudley and his friends. He may be my brother but was he annoying! And he always wanted to beat Harry up.

The days were pretty uneventful until one day in July. Dudley went to go get new uniforms for Smeltings- a private school. I'd go too but its a boy's school and I wanted to stay with Harry. He WAS my best friend after all.

The next day as Mum was dyeing Dud's uniforms gray for Harry, the mail came and of course, they made Harry get it.

Harry was taking a while so I decided to go in there too. He held a stack of mail and two thick envelopes.

"What are those Harry?" I ask him, curiously.

"Letters. One for me and one for you. Look! They even have our rooms addressed on them!" He said and handed me mine.

And he was right:

Miss M. Dursley
First Room on the Left Upstairs
4 Privet Drive
Little Whinging
Surrey

The envelope was a yellowish color with green ink and a wax seal. The seal seemed to be a coat of arms: a lion, a badger, an eagle, and a snake surrounding the letter H.

As we were inspecting the letters we heard Dad yell, "Hurry up boy! What are you doing, checking for bombs?"

We hurry into the kitchen and sit down, still looking at our letters. But as always, Dudley had to butt in.

"Dad!" He yelled, "Harry and Maddy have letters!"

All of a sudden Dad snatched our letters and looked at them just as we did.

"Hey!" I said.

"Yeah those are ours!" Harry agreed.

"Why would someone write to you?" Dad told Harry, ignoring me. "P-p-petunia...."

"What is it?" Mum said and looked over his shoulder. "Oh dear..."

"What is it?" I ask.

"Out. All of you." Dad said. "OUT."

We all scurry out, with varying levels of annoyance. Obviously, we stay and listen through the cracks.

"Vernon... look at the address... how could they possibly know where they sleep?" Mum says, her voice shaking.

"They must be spying on us." Dad muttered.

"What should we do Vernon? Should we write back? Tell them we dont-"

Mum was cut off by Dad. "We'll ignore it. I didn't want one in the house let alone two. This must be some mistake... No. We're ignoring it. And that's final."

What are they talking about?

Author's Note:
Okay so that happened. Thank you for reading! Leave any feedback you have in the comments! Love you!