2 | The News

"Please," she whispered, "don't do this."
He thought for a moment. He leaned in and hugged her. He held her tight as she started to sob.
"I'm so sorry," she choked out in between gasping breaths. "I didn't-"
"Shh," he soothed her, his arms wrapped around her as she clung to him, as if for her life. And in a way, it kind of was. To her, he was all she had ever known. They grew up and grew to love each other. But time has shaped them in a certain way.
"You can't do this," she said, pulling away from him to meet his big chocolate brown eyes. They were all she had ever known, all that could ever calm her down. But at this moment, they weren't. She longed to go back to a time when that would work again.
"I'm so sorry, baby," he said sadly, although there was emptiness behind his words. His voice held no desire to continue this conversation. He let go of her and took a step back.
"I can't do this anymore," he whispered. "I have to go."
"No!" She stood up, tears tracing fresh streaks down her face.
"I'm sorry," he added, emotionless, numb. He had no feelings anymore, he was empty from all the pain and regret he had felt recently. It had drained him, it had changed him.
Time had taken it's toll on their lives, changed them as they grew up. Shaped them into a way where they no longer fit together as the perfect puzzle pieces like they once had. And when you try to fit together two puzzle pieces that don't line up, eventually, one of them breaks.

Max turned around and left the room, as Claire sat back down on the sofa, sobbing quietly to herself.

Claire woke up the next day and rolled over, only to find that Max wasn't lying beside her as he normally was. She sat up in bed, alarmed.
"Oh," she thought to herself as she flopped back down in bed, stretching her arms out on either side of her. "He left last night.."

She rolled over to the side of her bed where he usually slept. She hugged his pillow and a fresh wave of sadness rolled over her. They didn't make up after that argument last night. He just left.

Claire decided to call him. She got up and grabbed her phone, dialing the number she remembered long ago. Before she could hit call, her phone started vibrating in her hands. She was shocked to see that Max's mother was calling her. She answered, and immediately she heard crying.
"Shar? Sharlene, are you alright? What's wrong?" She asked worriedly. Sharlene could barely get her words out.
"M-Max is missing," she cried.